- Pets and Animals
PETA: Too Extreme?
What is PETA, anyway?
PETA stands for: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. It's a group that was founded for the purpose of spreadin awareness for animal rights. There are about two million supporters in the United States and their slogan is "Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment."
It sounds good, right? I mean, who DOESN'T want animals to have the best life possible?
However, PETA has taken a perfectly good message and has run with it a bit TOO far. They have been associated with outrageously extreme acts over the past twenty-eight years of their existence.
Has PETA taken it way too far?
Your mother, the animal killer
PETA once stood outside of a Broadway show and handed out fliers to small children whose parents were wearing fur. What the the fliers look like? See above.
A little extreme, huh?
Inside the flier, this was stated:
"...And the sooner she stops wearing fur, the sooner the animals will be safe. Until then, keep your doggie or kitty friends away from mommy - she's an animal killer."
Some more of the extreme things PETA has done - PETA has a history of doing things that defy logic.
- One extreme member of PETA bombed a lab that tested animals for the purpose of finding cures to various diseases. PETA put forth $45,000 towards the defense of the man. This is one particular instance, but similar scenarios have occurred time and time again.
- PETA has reportedly thrown red paint on people wearing fur coats. This makes no sense, as the animals have already been killed for this coat. Now you've destroyed it and the owner will probably just buy another one, thus giving more support for the very thing you were trying to protest against in the first place.
- PETA's ultimate goal has been described as "total animal liberation" which even means they hope to achieve people no longer having pets! They are even for the "liberation" of SEEING-EYE DOGS! (I guess they would rather have puppies roam the streets than be given love and warmth by a good family?!?!)
What do you think?
Although you may be a reasonable PETA member yourself (and of course, you aren't doing any of the extreme stuff), what do you think about the organization as a whole?
Do you think PETA has been too extreme in delivering their message?
No, they're doing a great job!
So what SHOULD PETA be doing?
PETA spends a lot of money but accomplishes seemingly little towards their cause.
It would make sense for PETA to raise money and apply towards the following causes:
- Building adoption shelters for stray animals and keeping them fed and happy
- Buying chunks of rain forest so animal's habitats are not destroyed
- Providing good people with the supplies they need to adopt animals and get them out of underfunded pounds
- Make pamphlets that inform people what they can do to help, rather than making propaganda to instill fear in every person who has ever eaten meat or squashed a mosquito
- Put forth the time and effort to investigate and eradicate laws that allow puppy mills to exist
- Donate money to animal clinics in suffering areas of the country, and help build and fund clinics around the world so animals can get proper treatment like they have never been able to
- Push for laws that will make punishment for dog fighters more severe
Did you learn anything from this lens? Did you enjoy it?