- Pets and Animals»
Rats as pets:)
Rats as family pets
Are rats good pets? This is a question that comes up a lot, when you own rats as pets. They are amazing pets. Rats are like dogs in many ways. You can teach them tricks, they love spending time with you,and they will be your best friend. They are great family pets for young children, and are easy to take care of.
Rats are very social animals and prefer to live in groups, and form strong bonds with you. They will wait for you at the cage door to play and look at you begging for you to get them out. They love running around the room playing, having free roaming time, learning tricks, and even just cuddling, watching T.V. You.
There are some considerations that you need think about before getting a pet rat. Of course as with any pet its not all fun and games, you have to care for them as well. also you need to think about these things..
- do you have the time needed for a rat? At least two hrs a day to play with and care for your rat.
- Are you able to take them to the vet if needed?
- Are you willing to do at least weekly cage cleanings?
- Do you suffer from allergies? If you are not sure about having allergies to rats go to a breeders house and expose your self to them, or you could get a skin test done from the doctor.
- The most expensive part of owning a rat is the cage. The more space the better for them.
- Can you keep your rats safe from other pets, and keep other pets safe from your rats?
Also they need fresh clean water and food daily.
I am mentioning these things because from my experience from helping with a rat rescue, these are the most common reasons people stop wanting their rats. Rats are amazing pets and great if you live in an apartment and don't have the room for a dog. They don't bite or run off. They are lovable and funny and a joy to be around. All in all they really do make nice enjoyable pets for the whole family:)
I have tons of information to tell about rats, and can go on and on for days about them. So make sure you come back often. This is just the introduction to rats as pets I will post tons of info about everything or if you have a topic you want to know about please let me know.