Is the fake rock in the Fake Rock Instructional (by Whitney05) safe for making a

1. fritteritter profile image89
    fritteritterposted 8 years ago

Is the fake rock in the Fake Rock Instructional (by Whitney05) safe for making a waterfall?

I have 10 gallons of water in my hermit crab aquarium and want to use one of the water filters to make a waterfall. However, it will be difficult to find and work with real slate.

Will running water damage the fake rocks? Will the chemicals in the rocks contaminate the water? I love the polystyrene and expanding foam idea but I am wondering whether there is a more natural alternative for the outer layer?

2. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

I wouldn't recommend it, as the sealant would eventually need to be replaced and would probably need to be replaced frequently. The chemicals are proven safe for reptiles, but not with a constant water source running on them. The water would do more damage to the overall piece. Plus, hermit crabs don't necessarily need a waterfall. They need humidity, but not necessarily in the form of a waterfall. A simple mist twice a day would suffice perfectly.

3. fritteritter profile image89
    fritteritterposted 8 years ago

Thanks Whitney. I confess that the waterfall is more for decoration and a fun project to fill up some space in the 90 gallon aquarium than out of necessity for the crabs.

Nevertheless I've decided to give it a try, but I will be coating the portion which will be in contact with the running water with aquarium silicone first. I also do not trust the polycrylic sealer to hold up to constant flowing water, but I know that the silicone can. Hopefully the humidity will not damage the sealer, but this is really just an experiment anyways so we'll see!

Closed to reply

working