how can i help my female 2yr old scottish terrier stop being so defensive toward

1. profile image44
    i am cazzaposted 8 years ago

how can i help my female 2yr old scottish terrier stop being so defensive toward strangers

in may my scotie had a bad experience at a kennel, since then she has been showing signs of defensive aggression. she has always been a shy dog and reluctant to go to strangers but has always been loving and gentle, she was more a 'flight' rather than 'fight' risk. now on more than one ocassion she has been walking (does not seem to make a difference on or off lead) as people come past she will stop in front of us and growl and on 2 occassions she has 'fake charged' people, i have noticed that after the show of aggression she bolts generally back to us or the car i dont know how i can help her

2. mamac32 profile image61
    mamac32posted 8 years ago

To avoid a really, really long answer here, go get yourself the Cesar Milan-Dog Whisperer book.  He has some really good methods for dealing with these issues. Your library may have a copy.
    Use a chain collar and a standard 6 or 8 foot leash (not a retractable one) for going out on walks.

Closed to reply

working