How to Get Rid of Snakes in Your Garage or Yard
If you have a garage or yard in an area with snakes, the chances are that sooner or later, you're going to have to deal with one of them. Although they are very unlikely to harm a human or pet, you should still treat them with respect and care.
This article provides practical advice and suggestions on what you can do to remove snakes quickly and safely, together with recommendations on consulting with a professional if you're not sure what you are dealing with.
Be careful around snakes
Snakes can be dangerous, especially if cornered or they feel threatened. This means that you should never approach a snake if you are not certain what is is and you are not certain if it is venomous or not. If you are bitten, seek medical help immediately and if possible try to get a photograph of the snake to help with identification.
Additionally, if you are not certain how to deal with snakes yourself, especially ones that could be venomous, always contact a pest and animal control organization.
Here are some useful techniques to help you deal with snakes:
- If a snake is in your garage and just wants to get out, simply close doors leading into your house and leave the garage door or an external door open slightly so that the snake can escape
- You can obtain a glue trap for a snake from many home improvement and pest control stores; simply leave the trap in your garage or yard and when the snake crawls over it, it will get stuck. You must check these traps every day, as if the snake dies, it will begin to smell. If you catch the snake, you can release it a distance away from your home
- You can spray a snake with water to persuade it to leave, or alternatively set a humane snake trap to capture the creature. You can then take it to a location away from your home and release it
- Tidy up your yard; snakes are attracted to debris and places where they can hide, so clearing away wood piles, old items, rocks and the like will reduce the chances of snakes
- Get a cat or dog; they will often chase snakes away
- Cut back vegetation as snakes like to hide in it
- There are many snake repellent chemicals available that vary in effectiveness, so you will probably want to read some reviews so that you can find the right one for your needs.
Catching garter snakes
HAve you ever had to deal with snakes in your garage or yard?
It is worth restating that if you don't know what you are doing, you should contact a local pest control organization.
This may be provided by your local town or city government, or try one of the many other private pest control firms.