Give Me A Great, Great, Great Dane!
Great Danes Are Not Hobby
They are a member of the family like all other beloved four legged canines should be, they are just five times larger than your average pup. They are fiercely loyal, and they each have their own personalities. Having had the pleasure to love and support my two dane kids, (siblings?) I can give you a few tips:
- Get the food right, you'll be glad you did later
- Set boundaries or you will have to demand your bed back
- Always keep the upper hand, you want the dane to come when called, picking a dane up is out of the question when you need to get to an appointment
- If you respect a great dane, a great dane will love and protect you completely
- Research the dane breed, danes are a commitment, and you do not want to be the person whose dane showed up at the local pound!
- You can still love danes and not be a dane owner
- If you do choose to love and own a dane, love the job with all of your heart
Danes Love To Cuddle
Reader's Great Dane Info
Do you have a Great Dane or want a Great Dane?
The Adventures of Chloe
Chloe Nicole Nikki Nikella is a European Blue Great Dane from a champion bloodline. She is the smaller of my two danes, actually. Chloe can take up a whole king size bed or settle quite comfortably in a love seat beside you. Chloe came to us first, she picked my son and it was love at first site. The breeder thought she might not have the perfect personality, but Chloe is very outgoing, smart as a whip, intuitive, and sweet. We love her very much.
My son and I had a little lab terrier mix prior to getting Chloe. "Jules" was one of the best dogs I ever had. She was with us for several years, I'll have to dedicate an article all for her. When she passed away on a Christmas Day, I thought I would never want another canine companion. My son, being young, was asking for a replacement by the following May. I remember putting him off, you know, nodding with a maybe in response to his please.
In Tulsa, during the summer months, there is live music in a local square on Thursday evenings. Everyone comes out for the fun with their animals, picnic baskets, blankets, and wine. It was on one of those evenings that Aaron and I met our first Great Dane. Before us stood George, a huge American full black dane weighing in at 225 pounds. The people that own him had gotten George from a shelter. He had been chained outside, abandoned when the owners moved, and almost euthanized had it not been for a dane shelter who stepped in to nurse him back to health. The majesty of George mesmerized us and we came to understand what a gentle giant truly was that night. George would bend his head down for little toddlers to put their hands all over his head, face, back, calm, patient, and loving it. When we petted him, his soulful eyes met ours and his strong, stoic, loving spirit shone through them.
Aaron looked at me and said, "Mom, we've got to get a Dane!" Inside I totally agreed though I did not admit it to him, then. I had no idea what it took to have such a horse about. So I started my research and claimed brilliant success in finding Chloe. Since she is a Blue Dane, I had to put Nickel-la in her name and create her mantra song that includes my pick and my son's pick for her name. After we chose Chloe *Nicole and brought her home, this is what I did:
- Ensured that her vaccinations were up to date
- Immediately had her spayed* and gave her the recommended tummy tuck at the same time to reduce the risk of "bloat"
- Sought a professional trainer, not the pet store, but a credentialed trainer to teach both Chloe as well as for us the basics of our master and great dane relationship
- Never looked back
*People have asked me why I would pay good money for a top of the line Champion bloodline "bitch" only to render her a useless investment that could have grown through stud services. Well Chloe has remained a fun loving "kid", even today. She runs like a greyhound, and boy does she play. I am not responsible for letting one of her pups go to the wrong home, not me, no way!
Sebastian Sebbie Jax
Stay tuned for the next installment of the Adventures of Chloe and Sebbie Jax where I will share the story of a European Great Dane Mantle, Sebastian Sebbie Jax.
Both my danes are currently snoring as the wee hours have approached, so have to close now as my day tomorrow starts with the vacuum to cover their great dane tracks from today...