- Pets and Animals»
- Animal Care & Safety
Having a groundhog as a pet
Please read before illegally purchasing or trapping a pet groundhog
Groundhogs are demanding animals and quite honestly belong in the wild. Is there any upside? Absolutely. Similar to a dog, my groundhog will lovingly greet me when I come home, but then Buford the 3rd hastily scurries back into the crawl space and starts digging. I was foolish enough to adopt a family of groundhogs (all named Buford), and I need to spread the word about how labor intensive and destructive they can be. Here are 5 things you must read before moving forward with your decision.
1. Groundhogs Hibernate! My groundhogs hibernate in my basement all winter long. This may sound like a good thing, but when they wake up in the spring, it's a different story. Each year, right around March Madness, these little critters come climbing up from the basement. Not only are they very hungry, but the males are looking for a new mate, which means I have a family of groundhogs jockeying for position to hump my leg. It's weird and frustrating. Having to deal with a randy and hungry groundhog in an urban environment is rough to say the least.
2. Digging. These animals absolutely LOVE to dig. I usually have to replace the carpeting in my townhouse twice a year. Last July Buford II dug right through the dry wall and wedged himself in between the walls. I had to call a contractor to help me remove him AND he bit me during the process. I had to get yet another rabbies shot.
3. Veterinarian Care. Not many vets will even agree to see a "pet" groundhog, let alone have experience in dealing with one. I only brought my little guy to the vet once and it was not a pleasant experience. The vet told me I shouldn't try to domesticate a wild animal and she threatened to call animal control. We got the hell out of there before she had the chance to report us.
4. Whistle pigs are not good with kids. When I first got my groundhog, I tried to get him comfortable around children. I assume he perceived the children as threats, which is why he started snarling so viciously. Thankfully no one was hurt. For safety measures, I always put him on a leash when we go out and I usually tie a piece of string around his snout so he doesn't snap at anyone.
5. Special dietary needs. The pet stores don't carry groundhog food, so I just feed him table scraps which may be why he weighs about 45 pounds and is very lethargic. His favorite snack is Bugles and I sometimes let him eat taffy and pretend he is trying to talk.
Everybody's a winner!
How about a free kick in the ass?
In memory of Buford, my 1st pet groundhog - ?-July 17, 2007
When I got home that hot, humid July afternoon, I could immediately smell something was wrong. Once I entered my bedroom I saw Buford, my pet groundhog, laying peacefully on my bed. I blamed myself for his untimely death for months. I should have fed him less table scraps, given him proper medical attention and walked him more frequently. At times we hated each other's guts, but we always respected each other. This song really helped me during my grieving process. You will be forever missed, my chubby little friend.
In Memory of Buford II, my 2nd pet groundhog - October 21, 2002-December 11, 2008
When Buford II died tragically by eating electrical wires in my crawl space, I was devastated. He had burrowed himself in the crawl space repeatedly over the years. Each time I would have to stick my hands in the wall opening to remove him, knowing that he would shred my hands with those sharp gnarly teeth. That day I didn't feel like going to the hospital for stitches as I no longer had health insurance due to a nasty little drinking problem and an unsympathetic boss. Foolishly I let him scurry around the wall for a few hours. When the digging stopped and the lights went out I knew his high pitched squeal was his last. My myspace friends told me that he may have done it intentionally because he couldn't stand to be alone after Buford #1 passed away. Annie Lennox spoke to me through this song. Why. Why. Why did I not take him out of the crawl space when I had the chance! I failed you Buford II, my furry groundhog friend. My home feels so empty without my two pals scurrying around the walls.
Whistle Pig Gifts For The Whole Family
My pet groundhog Buford is a challenging pet.
Other Pets To Avoid & Cool Stuff
- Top Ten Animals To Avoid As Pets
In case you have the itch, a venomous snake, primate and fox are all bad pets. This article rates the top 10 ones to avoid
- Why Table Scraps Are Bad For Pets
I should not have feed Buford so many table scraps. Here's a great article on why table scraps are so bad for your pet.
- Funny Pet Pictures
Monkeys, dogs flying, cats with glasses! You've got to check out these funny pet pictures