- Pets and Animals»
- Dogs & Dog Breeds»
- Dog Health
Home Remedies to Get rid of Dog Fleas
- How to Get rid of dog Dandruff Naturally
Dealing with dandruff can be one of the most serious challenges of pet grooming. Dogs, particularly some breeds are predisposed to
Getting Rid of Fleas on Dogs - Overview
Dog fleas are one of the most common problems that affect dogs. You may want to use some of the freely available home remedies for getting rid of dog fleas. These home remedies are not necessarily medicated shampoos or soaps.
When you think of home remedies that help you get rid of fleas on the dog’s skin, they should be easy to find and very day use household remedies. Before we look at the different remedies that you can use at home to deal with dog fleas; it helps to stop and think of where the dog fleas come from.
By knowing the source of dog fleas you can comfortably prevent them and other conditions affecting dogs skin that are closely related to fleas infestation. You may also want to know other natural ways to get rid of dandruff and stop dog shedding after getting rid of fleas on dogs skin.
Source of Dog Fleas
Arguably, many new dog owners will think that their dogs are completely free from dog fleas but with time the dog may be infested by dog fleas. Dog fleas are insects that are freely available in nature and will readily climb on your dog as their host. The main source of dog fleas is other dogs that are infested with dog fleas. There is absolutely no 100% way of making sure your dog does not have fleas unless you continually follow the routine procedures of controlling flea’s infestation.
The dog fleas are in most cases a case of contact with infested dogs, the eggs of fleas and the fleas that are dropped on the ground by other dogs. This could be the path you walk your dog, your neighbor’s dog, the dog training park and any public place that your dog comes in contact with other dogs.
How to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs Video
How to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs
Prevention is better than cure since you can spend substantial amount of money if your dog is severely infested with fleas. Fleas when severe may tend to cause dermatitis that can result to serious hypersensitivity.
These allergic reactions from dog fleas may have devastating health effects on your dog. It helps to know the various ways that you can use to prevent flea infestation before you learn on available home remedies to get rid of dog fleas.
Ways to Get Rid of Fleas at Home
The following are the FOUR outstanding ways to get rid of fleas at home and on your dog's skin. You can employ to help you prevent dog flea infestation, they include;
- Proper dog grooming regularly – You should ensure that you groom your dog regularly and look out for any signs of flea’s infestation. You should look for fleas in the dog hair or fur or look for flea’s eggs.If you suspect your dog could be having flea eggs take control measures to get rid of flea eggs on dogs’ skin.
- Use Medicated Shampoos on your dog’s Skin- When bathing your dog, it might be necessarily that you buy the best medicated dog shampoo that will eliminate dog fleas and any fleas’ eggs that might not be easily visible on dog’s skin. Medicated dog shampoos come in all potency; you should carefully choose the best shampoo based on the ingredients of the dog shampoo. A good dog shampoo to get rid of fleas and eggs should have active ingredients against fleas.
- Regularly Use Home Remedies to eliminate fleas – There are a wide range of home remedies that can be used to prevent and control dog flea infestation as well as getting rid of fleas on both dog’s skin and the house. Dog fleas can either be eliminated by cleaning the house to rid it of all the eggs as well as ridding the dog’s skin of both the fleas and the eggs. It is wise that you consider both approaches when dealing with severe fleas’ infestation. If you do not clean the environment the fleas that are in the egg stage may soon cause a recurrent infestation.
- Dog Isolation and Contact Prevention – This is not so practical but works to some extent, where the contact of your dog with other dogs should be minimized to help reduce the chances of flea’s infestation. A better approach would be to bath your dog with medicated shampoos that will kill all the fleas after they have come in contact with any dog or dogs that are suspected to have fleas.
Most Read Hubs
- Top 10 Deadliest Dogs
The Top 10 dogs Deadliest are known for their most dangerous cases of human fatalities. When you carefully examine the history of these top deadliest breeds of dogs, you will notice
- Dogs That Make The Best Family Pets
If you have struggled choosing the right dog breed that make good or ideal family pet, you need to look at this list of these most popular dogs that
- Top 10 Non shedding Dogs
Top 10 non shedding dogs breed are the most sought after for adoption as family pets. If you are looking for the best non shedding dog
- Top 10 Strongest Dogs
Dogs come in diverse sizes, from the top 10 dogs that are the strongest to the smallest miniature breeds. It is virtually impossible to imagine
- Top 10 Dogs That Don't Shed
If you are looking for dogs that don't shed, you probably have come across many lists of dogs that don't shed leaving you more confused.
Dog Flea Control
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dog Fleas
There are many home remedies that you can use to get rid of dog fleas and they include the following;
- Apple cider vinegar- The most common home remedy for getting rid of fleas on dog’s skin. This is often said to be the number 1 home remedy for dog flea elimination based on its potency when used along with other homes remedies.You obviously cannot afford to ignore apple cider vinegar if you are serious about using home remedies for flea’s elimination.
- Boric Acid- Boric acid as a way of getting rid of fleas at home is very effective when used in the house. Boric is an excellent home remedy for fleas that are on the carpet, seats and other places in the house that cannot be easily identified. The nature of boric acid makes it a very effective home remedy for fleas since it neither harms the dog nor humans. Flea’s exposure to boric acid makes them paralyzed and dead within a short period of time. This makes boric acid one of the most potent flea’s home remedies.
- Garlic – Garlic is a common ingredient of food in the kitchen and can often be used in treatment of other conditions that are related to dieting in humans. Garlic also finds an important role here of killing fleas and helping your dog skin rejuvenate and get back to normalcy after flea related dermatitis. The only shortcoming of using garlic as a home remedy for dog fleas is the lingering smell, not so good but its worthy as an active ingredient to rid your dog of all fleas.
- Lavender Essential OilsApart from making the hair lost due to flea infestation grow, lavender essential oils play a very important role in getting rid of flea’s infestation on dogs. It is a great way to get rid of fleas by simple application of the essential oil to the affected areas or suspected infestation areas. This will work effectively within a few days. Lavender essential oils can be given the benefit of doubt since it has been used for years to help reduce the occurrence of dandruff and cure hair loss even in humans.
- Lemon - Lemon is also used as another home remedy for getting rid of fleas in on the dog’s skin. Due to the high amount of acid in lemon juice this makes it an effective way to rid the dog of all fleas. The dog may also be uncomfortable by direct application of lemon on affected areas due to irritation but mixing lemon with other home remedies can be a great way to harness its potency against fleas.
- Ordinary Soap and Water The ordinary soap and water are the first home remedies that you should start with when you want to get rid of fleas on your dog’s skin as well as your house. The ordinary detergent used with water can be an ideal way to start eliminating fleas from your house. Giving your dog a bath with soap and warm water is the first step towards successful elimination of fleas with home remedies.
Dog Flea's Home Remedies Poll
Do you use Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dog Fleas at Home?
Caution : Using Home Remedies for Flea Elimination
These are the most commonly used home remedies against fleas that have been tested and found potent for killing fleas both on dog’s skin and in the house.
Although these home remedies might be very useful for elimination of fleas and eggs it’s important you know how you can use any of these home remedies to get rid of fleas and live a flea free happy life!