How To Keep Skunks Away
How To Keep Skunks Away - Tips to Keep Skunks Away
Although there may be a few people who like skunks (there are a few country folk and farmers who like that skunks eat mice), most of us don't. We don't want to see them, we don't want to smell them and we don't want to even think they are nearby. We want to know exactly how to keep them as far away from our property as possible.
The first thing to consider when you want to keep skunks away and off your property is to remove all of it's possible hiding places. Skunks like to hide under porches (this is a favorite), in rock piles, in wood piles, under buildings if they can dig a small opening, in tree trunks and anything that they can fit their little bodies into. They also have been known to get comfy in sheds and garages.
Another way to keep skunks away is to get rid of the things they like to eat. See "What Skunks Eat" below.
Some Extra Help Keeping Skunks Away
Here are just a few things you might want to try to get rid of those foul-smelling skunks.
What Do Skunks Eat?
Get rid of the skunks' food source.
The trick to keeping skunks away is to make your yard no fun. No place to sleep, no food and a very unwelcoming atmosphere. Make it the most unwelcoming yard in town. Make everyone else's place seem way more appealing. Send that skunk packing!
Take away all of the skunks food sources. What Do Skunks Eat? Here are some ideas:
1. Pick up all dog food. Never leave dog food out overnight.
2. Pick up your dog's water dish.
3. Cover and make compost piles inaccessible.
4. Cover and secure trash.
5. Don't leave the bbq uncovered or scraps nearby.
Start with these and any other obvious food sources and your skunk may leave for greener pastures.
Skunk Odor Removal
Hint: Tomato juice does not remove skunk odor!
All you will end up with is the smell of tomato juice mixed with skunk spray.
OK, so you may be here to figure out How To Keep Skunks Away, but you may want to have some idea of what to do if a skunk sprays your car, your house, your dog, your cat or you!
Well, let's start with what NOT to do:
1. Do not use tomato juice. It only masks the smell for a short while.
2. Do not use regular dog or human shampoo. It is not strong enough and will not work.
3. Do not douse your dog in vinegar right away, what if he has been bitten or scratched?
4. Do not let anyone or anything that has been sprayed by a skunk in the house. Skunk odor will get everywhere!
Please take a minute....
Do you have skunks on your property
Links You'll Love
- Remove Skunk Spray from Dogs
Tips to prepare to remove skunk spray from dogs.
Share your thoughts or tips here.....