- Pets and Animals»
- Animal Care & Safety
What kind of Pets Can Wear Diapers?
I have three dogs, but only two of them wear diapers. This is because I can clean after one dog – not three.
Winniechurchill, our oldest dog, practically toilet trained herself. As a pup she was very sensitive and would crouch guiltily if my husband Ed shouted, THIS DOG PEED IN THE BEDROOM.
As a result, every morning Winnie would whine, sometimes for 30 minutes, begging for one of us to wake up. Usually it was Ed who awoke first, and he would bring her to the yard. That’s when she learned where to poo and pee, and she does it every morning of the day.
Ashly Belle Pumpernickel Adjusts to Diapers
When we got Ashley Pumpernickel, our second dog, we noticed that she LIKED to pee on beds and sofas. That’s when I decided to put her on diapers. Here’s a tip: It’s cheaper to buy baby diapers and cut a hole through it than to buy real diapers.
Ashley and Winnie have to exchange their schedules when indoors and outdoors, because they tend to fight with each other. Initially, when I would put Ashley on her diaper she’d bite it and tear it off. I’d yell at her and eventually she learned to keep it on.
She also learned that if she peed right in front of me on the bed, within my range of vision, I would immediately change her diaper. And, she learned that if she pooed, all she’d have to do is find me, position herself so that the diaper is right in front of my nose, and voila, instant diaper change.
Ashley and Mocha Sleep Back to Back With Their Diapers
But Generally, Ashly Hates the Camera
Mocha's Peaceful Revolution
If I am outdoors for the day, when I come home to the two dogs in diapers, (Mocha wears diapers in the afternoon with Ashley), I notice that they immediately do their mess. They trained themselves to discover a practical way to do their mess with their diapers in a way that would guarantee an instant, clean diaper change.
Mocha Barney used to sleep outdoors with Ashley at night, until one morning we found her limping. From then on, Mocha became the full house dog. In the morning she pees outdoors with Winniechurchill and in the afternoon, she pees on her diaper like Ashley.
Recently Mocha went democratic on us. We installed a new screen door that she can easily open with her nose. So she tears off a perfectly clean diaper and does her mess outdoors even in the afternoon. This was going on for quite a while. One day she ruined five perfectly clean diapers. We got the message, so she only wears one diaper a day now, when it’s time to sleep. (Update: Now, Mocha doesn’t even wear diapers when sleeping. She is a trained, totally diaper free dog).
Would you let your pet wear diapers?
TIPS ON TRAINING DOGS TO USE DIAPERS
- You can’t train grown dogs to use diapers. They’ll bite at it until you have clumps of torn diaper all around the floor of your room and hall. Dogs have to be trained from the time they are puppies.
- You may need to use diapers on old, sick dogs. By that time, it will most likely work out fine, and the dog won’t rebel. She will understand that the diaper is needed. Also, old dogs tend to mellow down.
- 3. When you use baby diapers DON’T cut the hole in the middle of the diaper. That is the best way to find leaks of pee and pieces of turds here and there on the floor. For a leak-free diaper, look for the side OPPOSITE where the stickers are (that are attached to seal the diaper). The, go to the side of the diaper where there is NO THICKNESS. Cut a straight line as close to the thickness as you can. The tail will be sideward and it may look weird, but I guarantee you there will be no leaks of turds or pee.
- 4. Buy the proper diaper size for your dog. My biggest dog makes LOTS of pee, so we really get the largest size for her. Anything less will cause a leak whether you cut it properly or not.
FOR MALE DOGS
- The above instructions will work on a male dog when it poos. The problem is when it pees.
- For male dog pee, you can build a belt with Velcro to make sure that the belt fits snugly around the dog’s waist.
- The belt should be the appropriate width of your dog’s, er, thing.
- Place a woman’s menstruation napkin on the area that will touch on your dog’s penis.
- Snugly keep the belt in place with the Velcro attached at the ends.
- (Update): I learned of another option when I saw two male dogs in a mall. The owner simply bought baby diapers for them, but wrapped the diapers like a belt around the dogs’ waists to cover their dogs’ er, things. The pets looked perfectly engaging.
The best YouTube advice for dog diapers
CHICKEN, DUCK AND PEACOCK DIAPERS
People may think that diapers are inappropriate for pets, but there is a good side to it. A number of people are getting pet chickens. This has given them an understanding of how easy it is to bond with a chicken and eventually, they tend to be less likely to eat them.
My neighbor, who grew up in the city, retired in a rural area and bonded with a chicken. It made her laugh and when she and her husband would go out on walks, the chicken would follow them without a leash.
Bringing the chicken indoors makes you realize that these animals have lovable qualities. The good news is, there is a diaper for chickens. Chickendiaper.com has a lot of diapers for chickens in different designs. Check out their gallery. Even better, chicken poop can be recycled back to the ground.
The same diaper can be used for a peacock or a duck. Here’s a hint: If you don’t wanna spend money on a chicken diaper it is outrageously easy to make one for yourself. You could make seven, one for each day.
How to Diaper a Chicken
In old Spain, the first paellas were cooked outdoors and any edible animal was used for the meal, including rabbits. Today, rabbits are commonly the victims of foxes.
As pets, rabbits are the cheapest pets to purchase in the Philippines, and they are incredibly cute when they are around the house. The problem is, when they’re little the poo is hardly a bother. When they’re big, the poo is ridiculous.
And yet, if you love having an organic garden, nothing beats rabbit poop. Also, rabbits are the easiest pets to diaper. You can simply buy any baby diaper on the market that’s appropriate to size, and put it carefully on the rabbit. You don’t even have to cut a hole on it for any tail.
When putting on the rabbit’s diaper, it’s best to keep your rabbit between your thighs, head facing you. Put it on carefully and gently. Make sure you don’t alarm the rabbit. If a rabbit feels threatened, the claws in their feet are large and they can claw so quickly you won’t know what hit you. We suggest you watch a teaching video before diapering a rabbit. Try this video which shows how a child puts on the rabbit’s diaper: