Top 10 Things To Do With Your Horse
Top 10 Things To Do With Your Horse
Sometimes you and your horse can get a little bored just riding in the ring or around the farm. Here you can find some fun things for you and your horse to do next time you go out to ride. It'll help keep things fresh for you and your horse!
Our Top 10 List
These are the things that we picked
10. Make up your own mounted game! Try putting things on fence posts and moving them from post to post as fast as you can, or you can try setting up some bending poles in your ring or field.
9. Take your horse trail riding – National and Regional parks often have trails you can use while riding your horse. Exploring them is a lot of fun and can keep riding fresh and amusing as you find a new path. Trail rides can last hours and hours but they always feel like they ended too soon!
8. Ride along a beach – With the soft going and open spaces taking your horse to the beach can be a lot of fun! Even if you don’t live near the coast you can take them to a local lake or river and ride there.
7. Try a new discipline – Whether you are a jumper, dressage rider or polo player you can always find another discipline to try with your horse! Search for some information online about starting the new sport and give it a go the next time you ride! You may not be all that good at first but it will be a fresh experience for you and your horse!
6. Play with your horse on the ground – You don’t have to be riding to have fun with your horse, you can play games on the ground too! Try getting your horse to follow you without using a halter or rope, try getting him or her to walk over or around scary objects.
5. Ride bareback – Riding bareback is not only a fun and relaxing way to enjoy your horse but it can help you with your balance and control as well. There’s nothing better than feeling those muscles moving underneath you!
4. Take a Friend – Take a friend to see and ride your horse with you. If you are small and your horse is a reasonable size you may even be able to ride together! Just make sure your horse can carry you first. Even if he or she can’t, then you can take turns to ride and try to teach each other as you go.
3. Go fast – If you typically ride in the ring or another enclosed space then find somewhere open and really let your horse go! It’s scary at first but horses love to run and I’m sure both you and your horse will have a wonderful time!
2. Teach your horse a new move – There is nothing more satisfying than teaching your horse to do something they couldn’t do before! You can teach them jumping, leg yields, half passes, turns on the forehand and on the hindquarters, the list is endless! Not only are these moves a good diversion from what you normally do, they help your horse develop muscle, fitness and flexibility, making them better at what you normally do!
1. Whatever you want – Horses are amazing, friendly animals. Take yours somewhere and just enjoy the partnership that you have developed. Forget about competition, traveling and all the complicated stuff and ride for the reason you used to ride – because it feels amazing to have the relationship that you have with your horse!
Gifts for Horse Lovers
Wondering what to buy for a horse lover?
Are you wondering what you buy that horse lover in your life for Christmas or for their Birthday? Check out or list of some great things to buy for them over on our Gifts For Horse Lovers Lens.
Leave your other suggestions for fun activities here. Also check out our lenses about other horse sports and ideas for you and your horse.