- Pets and Animals
Training Beagle to Sit
Teaching your Beagle to Sit
Want to start teaching your Beagle couple of new tricks or some simple commands? Well training your dog to sit is a great starting point.
It's easy to teach, easy to remember and it's something dogs do all the time anyway. So in this article I will show you the exact step to teaching your Beagle to sit on command.
What you will need
- Quiet environment with as little distractions as possible
- Couple of treats to get your dog's attention
- 10 - 15 minutes
- Curious Beagle dog
Cute Beagle Puppy
He knows how it's done!
Teaching the Sit Command
Have everything ready? Good! Now it's time to get to work:
- 1. Start off by getting your Beagles attention - show him the treat and get him excited for it. Let him smell it so he knows it's something good. As soon as you get him to follow the treat with his eyes as you move it around in your hand, you're ready to go to the next step.
- 2. Get him to stand first - If your Beagle is already sitting, then you can't really to tell him to sit. So you need to get him to stand up. Take a few steps back or to the side so he has to stand up and move to get close to the treat.
- 3. Get him to sit - Hold the treat in front of him and above his head just above his reach, but not too high or he will try to jump for it. Now move your hand towards the dog keeping it at the same height and say the command. So the treat should start off in front of him and then move towards him until it is right above him. Your Beagle will do one of two things. He will either step back to keep eye contact with the treat or he will sit down so he can see it better. Your goal is to make him sit. If it doesn't work the first time, try it a couple more times.
- 4. Reward him for his behavior - Once his little butt touches the floor, give him the treat that he has been eyeing for the past five minutes along with some encouraging words. Try to time the reward as close with the action as possible when teaching new tricks.
- 5. Practice makes perfect - Keep practicing with your Beagle. Do this couple of more times, but try not to keep this training session going for longer than 15-20 minutes. Instead just have another short training session later on in the day.
So after you get your Beagle to sit just by saying command, you can move on to more interesting things to train your beagle. Wish you best of luck!