- Pets and Animals
Remedies for treating dog vomiting and diarrhea
My Dog just keep vomiting and has diarrhea
So man's best friend is sick, showing signs of vomiting and diarrhea, this can be as simple as your dog having an upset stomach to more serious issues of Parvo disease common in puppies not vaccinated.
Vomiting and Diarrhea can lead to serious fluid loss as it does in humans, which can leave your dog dehydrated and could even lead to death.
Causes of Vomiting and Diarrhea
Vomiting and Diarrhea can occur due to:
- Diet: Drastic changes or certain food can lead to your dog having an upset stomach and so cause diarrhea and vomiting. Changes in diet could be as a result of changes in protein and carbohydrate, which can be as simple as moving from beef to chicken, or corn to potato.
- Bacteria : Dogs naturally are scavengers and so they will at time go around and eat stuff such as: garbage and decay foods, this could possible lead to your dog contracting a bacteria, thus causing vomiting and the passing of watery stool, this is similar to when we contract certain bacteria.
- Virus: The most popular virus seen in dogs is the canine parvo virus, a contagious virus that lead to gastrointestinal damage and serious dehydration in dogs. All canine lovers will know that they should get their dog vaccinated for this virus, generally the virus usually occurs in pups that are not vaccinated.
- Intestinal parasites: Like being infected with bacteria, your dog by snooping around the yard can be infected with parasitic worms, that can lead to diarrhea and vomiting, this can be prevented as its no big secret that as dog owners we are to deworm our dogs at least twice a year.
Keeping your dog hydrated is very important
Just as in any human, diarrhea and vomiting will lead to dehydration in your dog if left untreated. Thus ensure your dog is well hydrated , therefore giving pedialyte and other oral rehydration salts , mixing small amount of salt with water or simply water will help your dog to keep hydrated and have a balance electrolyte which is key in ensuring your dog body function properly especially when having these conditions.
Treatment: Natural Remedies
The use of Pepcid ( dose 0.2 or 0.5 mg per pound) or ( generally 2 tsp (10ml) per pound) is used , and they are great medications and are common for treating diarrhea and vomiting, with no serious side effect ever reported. Importantly, you should note, pepto-bismol have an added side effect of darkening your dog stool, however this is not harmful. pepto-bismol
However, I believe just as I would not give my child a pet medication to treat a condition that my dog might have such as vomiting, the same goes for my dog.For me personally, natural remedies are the way to go, they have less side effects, if any, and they will overall promote the health of your dog digestive tract.
For treating diarrhea and vomiting, works wonders,(2-3 drops for your small , 5 for medium and 8-10 for large dogs in small amount of water,two to three times a day), now don't get me wrong there are other medications, but Runipoo Relief is what I use for my dog diarrhea relief and it has not fail, also its just as effective in cats. Furthermore stomach pain and gas sleepless and hiccups can also be treated with this medication. Runipoo Relief
However, as I would say to all my pet lovers, consulting with your Veterinary physician about the medications you wish to give your dog, will always help.
- Ensure to keep your dog hydrated
- Leash-walk your dog, as it promotes healthy bowel movement
- Feed your dog small meals, for better digestion.
- If the source of your dog vomiting and diarrhea is found such as garbage, remove or store them more safely.
- Finally ensure your dog gets the best care always.
If this as been informative for you, just like and leave a comment, which could even be on other remedies you have tried.
Hope you and your Pet, even if not a dog will stay healthy and live long.