Treibball - the hottest new sport for dogs that enjoy herding!
Treibball is a new sport to the US just within the last few years.
With it's roots in Germany, Treibball, also known as 'herding ball' and 'drift ball', is now being enjoyed by hundreds of dogs throughout the US. Read on to learn more about this growing sport!
Photo courtesy of the Treibball Wiki
Learn about Treibball!
Being the herding breed that I am, I have to say that I'm a bit fascinated with this Treibball sport.
We understand the sport has actually been around since about 2003 in Germany, and officially became a dog sport in 2008 with competitions held there.
The ultimate goal is for the dog to herd eight large balls into a soccer like net as quickly as possible. These balls originate from a formed triangle in the center of a field. But we see other variations as well - herding through obstacles, lanes, and more.
What I like is that it's something new and fun to learn - and would be great to work on even inside during the heat of summer or cold of winter. Inside I could learn to herd those balls around tables and chairs, before venturing outside to wider spaces.
Read on for more info. And visit the American Treibball Association.
Playing the game!
Great Treibball links to learn more!
- Visit the American Treibball Association website
- Follow the American Treibball Association on Facebook
- Visit Waggins West for some Treibball lessons
- Join the Treibball Yahoo Group
- Visit Treibball (Herding Ball) on Facebook
- Visit the Denver Metro Area Treibball Association MeetUp Group
- Get the Treibball Book and learn at home
- Learn more from the Treibball Wiki (use Google translate for translation to English)
- Visit Linda Westergren's site for more info on Treibball
- A little of what we could find about rules, from the GermanShepherd Forum
Getting started with the basics!
Do you Treibball?
BC gives a Treibball demo in DÃ¼sseldorf
Cool stuff for cool dogs!
Be sure and visit my website - JohannTheDog.com - where you can shop for cool stuff for cool dogs!
We've put together, in one place, all the cool stuff you need for your dog!
Find dog beds, all natural foods and treats, collars, leashes, charms, training and agility gear, vitamins and supplements, books, clothing, toys, crates, dog seat belts, t-shirts and other cool stuff for two and four-leggers!
And the best part is we donate 10% of our profits to dog shelters and rescues!