Crochet Teddy Bear Pattern
Teddy bears make great gifts for people of all ages. Here is a simple crochet pattern to create a bear that you can easily customize and make your own. Use chunky yarn and a big needle to make your bear big and cuddly. Or use thin yarn and a tiny needle to make a little bear.
I used medium weight yarn (4) and a F/5-3.75mm hook for my bear.
Head & Body
In this pattern the head and body of the bear are one piece.
Start by following the steps on how to crochet a head on my Crochet Mermaid Pattern, then continue with the body here.
23 - 25. SC around (12)
26. 2 SC in each stitch around (24)
27 - 28. SC around (24)
29. 2 SC, SC, repeat around (30)
30 - 40. SC around (30)
41. SC-2-TOG, SC, repeat around (18)
42. SC-2-TOG, SC, repeat around (12)
Stuff the head and body.
43. SC-2-TOG, repeat around until it's closed off, then fasten off. Tuck tail inside the body.
1. SC 8 in the second chain from the hook.
2. 2 SC in each stitch. (16)
3. 2 SC, SC, repeat around (24)
4 - 9. SC around (24)
10. SC-2-TOG, SC, SC-2-TOG, SC, SC-2-TOG, SC, SC-2-TOG, SC, SC-2-TOG, SC, then SC the rest of the round. (19)
11 - 15. SC around. (19)
16. SC-2-TOG, SC, SC, repeat around (14)
17 - 24 (or for however long you want the legs to be). SC around, fasten off and leave tail long enough to sew with. (14)
Repeat with other leg and stuff both.
1. SC 6 in second ch from hook. (6)
2. 2 SC in each stitch around. (12)
3 - 15 (or for however long you want the arms to be) SC around, then fasten off leaving a tail long enough to sew. (12)
Repeat with other arm and stuff.
Ch 2 or make magic ring.
1. SC 6 in second chain from hook or in magic ring.
2. 2 SC in each stitch around. (12)
3 - 5. SC around. (12)
Crochet the opening closed, fasten off and leave tail long enough to sew ears on to head.
1. SC 6 in second chain from hook.
2. SC around (6)
Crochet closed and fasten off leaving a tail to sew tail on.
Stuff & Sew Up
Add stuffing to the arms and legs, then sew everything together.
I wanted my bear to be seated, so I sewed the legs sticking straight out from the body. If you want your bear to be in standing position then sew them pointing down from the body. If you want your bear to have movable limbs, first sew the legs closed at the top and them stitch them on to the body.
I plan to give the bear something to hold so I wanted the arms sticking straight out. I first sewed the opening of the arms closed then stitched them on either side of the bear pointing forward. You could also sew them on pointing down.
When I sewed the ears on to the head I first determined the best place to put them, then while stitching them on I sewed them down at a bit of a curve so the ears made a "C" shape.
For the tail, I just found the center and sewed it on to the bottom of the body.
I sewed all these pieces on by going over them a couple times, to make sure they were nice and secure. Then I pulled the tail through the body and trimmed it off from where ever it came out.
Now you can add details like facial features or whatever else you like. If you didn't use doll eyes for the face you can embroider eyes, nose, and mouth or you could sew on beads and buttons. Have fun trying different things and make your bear your own. :)
Here's another way to crochet amigurumi bears. I learned just by watching this cute video!
More Hubs to Come...
What crochet patterns would you like to see in the future?
Hope you enjoyed this pattern! Feel free to alter and customize it to your liking. You are welcome to sell anything you create using this pattern and any new pattern you create using this as inspiration. However, please do not sell this actual pattern. That just isn't very nice. :(
I would love to hear about anything and everything you create from this pattern so please share in the comments below.
If you like this pattern, please take a look at some of my other crochet patterns as well:
- Crochet Baby Outfit
- Crochet Mermaid Pattern
- How to Crochet Bracelets
- Create a Custom Crochet iPhone Case (applies to other cell phones and devices as well)
- DIY Jewelry Organizer (has a tutorial on a crochet jewelry tote)
- Amigurumi Teddy Favor Pattern
- Crochet Amigurumi Doll with Dress Pattern
You should also check out my Crochet board on Pinterest for more great patterns and inspiration!