Berlin's Posters Create Street Art
A charismatic capital.
Unlike any other capital, Berlin sits on the banks of mighty rivers Spree and Havel. Rich in culture and art, this sprawling city thrives on diversity and multiculturalism. World renowned museums are spread throughout the city and galleries display incredible artwork. But the most interesting art is found on the chipped brick walls and in the underpasses of steel bridges.
Where to find the posters.
The hunt for an Instagram worthy post is on. All you need is a fully charged smart phone and good walking shoes and you are set to go. Skip the museum fees and long lines, instead, walk the winding roads of Berlin. Look for flyers and posters advertising concert or shows. If you can find a cluster of them, even better. Near the Berlin Wall and in construction tunnels for pedestrians you will see miles of poster covered walls. If you are not a huge walking fan, you can always rent a bike for day.
My Instagram technique.
Filters are fantastic and I often use them to highlight certain elements of the shot. However, in my opinion, the editing options are much more valuable. All of my pictures use them. I like going to the extremes. I use 100 on the sharpness setting. Using really high or really low contrast can also have amazing results.
Berlin is sprinkled with jaw dropping murals. They are tucked around corners, painted onto blank brick walls and well hidden in obscure alleys. Treat yourself to more inspiring street art with this list of murals.
Case McClaim's mural
Location: Heinrich Heine Strasse
Elephant Playing with a Balloon
Location: Wihelmstrasse 7, Kreuzberg
Marble Giant Mural by BLO
Location: near Gerichstrasse
Art festivals in Germany.
- Zukunftsvisionen Festival: This festival is held in Gorlitz. Started in 2007, it celebrates contemporary art submissions from around the world.
- Museum Embankment Festival: Held in Frankfurt, this festival is a celebration of dance, art, theater, music and food.
Other art destinations in Berlin.
- The Berlin wall
- Museum Island
- Georg Kolbe Museum
Things to try in Berlin.
- Eat a lot of food. Try wiener schnitzel, bratwurst, currywurst and sauerbraten.
- Turkish food. This may seem odd but if you want Turkish food outside of Turkey, Berlin is the place to go. There is a huge Turkish population in Berlin and a multitude of top notch Turkish restaurants.
- Check out the local produce markets.
- Chow down on chwarma.
- Browse through flea markets. Some suggestions include the flea market at Mauerpark and the flea market at Bode Museum.
- In the summer, try sipping schorle a non alcoholic drink with mineral water and fruit juice.