- Arts and Design
Craft Stick Lamp
Looking for an interesting and useful craft for older kids? Let them create their own personal lamp with craft sticks. Craft sticks are often of as child’s art like a simple photo frame. A craft stick lamp can be a simple box or a more complex design and may be used as a replacement lamp for a nightlight.
If you are working with a group of older children let them start off with a simple design if they are new to designing and a more complex design like an octagon for those who have designed before. An alternative to using a light kit is to use a LED light. This option does not require a light kit or drill.
Round drill bit
Creating the Project
- Make a hole in the center of the wood base. The hole needs to be large enough for the light cord to go through.
- Drill or chisel out an area from the hole to the edge of the base to allow the base to sit flat.
- Secure the light fixture to the wood base the light kit directions.
- To create a simple box design start by placing two sticks parallel to each and then create a square by placing two stick opposite of the first two sticks. The ends of the sticks should overlap and this is where you need to apply the glue. Repeat these steps until you reach the height needed. Let the glue dry.
- You can leave the top open or close it by building the sticks closer to the center with each layer. Be sure to leave enough room to change a light bulb.
- Paint or stain as desired. You can also leave it unpainted for a natural wood effect.
- Spray on a varnish protective finish. Let dry.