- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Crafts for Kids on a Rainy Day - Using Salt Dough
"Crafts for Kid's on a Rainy Day"
I am very excited to be writing this article on "Crafts for Kid's on a Rainy Day using Salt Dough. I am a mother of 3 beautiful children and love making arts and crafts with them.
I am going to give you an easy to understand step by step reference guide on how to Make Salt dough and also some tips and ideas for craft making with your children or classroom
This is an incredibly fun project for children but also for the Parent or Teacher as well.
Happy Craft Making and I hope you enjoy this great project! Have Lots of Fun!
Ingredients you will need for your Salt Dough
- Flour - 1 cup
- Salt 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Bowl - Large
Making your Dough
- Put all of your ingredients into a Bowl, and use your hands to mix this all together.
- You will squeeze the mixture where it is going through your fingers untill all the dough is mixed to together.
- Pat your dough into a nice large ball and then you will need to pull out your roller.
- Put your dough onto a clean surface and roll your dough out.
Activities for the Salt Dough
Modeling After your dough is all rolled out, you can:
- using a roller pin to roll it flat
- into long snake like shapes for making anything from a snake to an outline on a shape.
- into circle balls small or large
- using a fork or a comb to make indention's for picture frames or putting it into shapes of animals or anything from ornaments to necklaces
Squash it :
- use cookie cutters to cut shapes
- and squeeze it
- Use cookie cutters to make all sorts of shapes
- use a butter nice for cutting
- use play dough accessories for cutting
Other Items you can use:
Paper clips, toothpicks, straws for cutting holes for necklaces or ribbon threading, using a garlic press for strings, rubber stamps, drinking glasses, small cups, forks, spoons, butter knifes etc.
If the dough gets too sticky just add a little flour to it.
Baking your Creations
Once you have finished your project and make your dough into shapes, ornaments , animals etc.. Put your little creations on to a baking sheet
You will want to bake this at
- 350 degrees F
- for 20 mins
- after cooking your creations let them cool down before removing.
- If the shapes are too big you will need to cook a little longer.
- if they are very delicate, they can crumble.
- I would keep them small but bulky.
Painting your Creations
You will need the following:
- White glue
- Kid safe poster paint
- After dough is cooled.
- Mix your poster paint with a little bit of white glue. ( about one part glue to two parts paint)
- This will make the paint tough and also shiny to give your little creations a great look.
Left over Salt Dough
Your left over Salt Dough can be stored by putting it into a Plastic container or any container and cover it in plastic wrap. You could also just put the dough into plastic wrap and put that into a container as well.
This will stay good in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Salt Dough Creations
I hope you are enjoying this wonderful project, this is a craft that can last for generations, and a great time to spend with family ,friends and your children. Whether its at home or in a classroom, this is so much fun! Salt Dough Crafts for Kids on a Rainy Day is just great indoor fun, whether its a rainy day or a cold winter day, its an inexpensive project that will give hours of fun.
Happy Salt Dough Creations!