- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
- Jewelry Making
How to Make Vintage Inspired Jewelry With Resin and Scrapbook Paper
Recycle Leftover Scrapbook Paper
A great way to recycle scrapbook paper is to create vintage inspired jewelry with resin kits from craft stores. Embellishments featured on this high quality paper are beautiful when cast in resin because the are artful, eloquent, and decorated on both sides. Sheets of vintage ephemera can also be used for this craft. Handmade vintage inspired jewelry is also an inexpensive alternative to buying antique pieces which can be expensive and hard to find.
For the beginner, all in one resin kits are the best way to start creating custom jewelry. Kits contain the correct mixes for projects. Jewelry can be cast from molds purchased from craft stores or placed into shells for necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Any type of jewelry can be made from resin including bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and rings.
Creating resin jewelry may look intimidating, but it is fairly easy to do. With proper research and preparation, you can make vintage inspired jewelry.
-A two part resin epoxy kit. These complete kits are ideal for beginners and are more forgiving and slow drying if you need to make corrections.
-Two plastic cups
-Craft sticks or tooth picks
-Molds or bezzel links (jewelry pieces that you directly fill to make jewelry). If you make jewelry in a standard plastic mold, you must also purchase resin release so your product does not stick to the mold. After casting the resin from a mold, it will be necessary to drill a hole wherever you want to insert a necklace or clasp.
-Scrapbook cut outs (you can place many craft items into resin). To cast in resin, high quality paper must be used.
"Casting" the Resin
Casting is the term used for mixing the resin mix and waiting for it to dry. Always follow the manufacturer's directions for preparing the resin.
1. Prepare the resin according to the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Prepare your photo or scrapbook paper by coating it on both sides with Mod Podge or other sealant and allow it to dry. Place the scrapbook paper / photo or other additive carefully into the center of the bezzel links. Center with a toothpick.
3. Slowly pour resin into the mold or bezzel link over the scrapbook paper or photo until the bezzel is full. If your scrapbook paper gets displaced, you can move it for the first few minutes with a toothpick.
3. Follow the manufacturer's advice on how long to let the resin "cure" or harden. Most kits require a 24 hour period to harden. Monitor the mix to make sure there are no air bubbles in the solution. If a bubble does rise, gently blow on it to get it to pop or poke it with a toothpick.
4. If using bezzel links, you are finished. If using a mold, remove the hardened resin pieces from the molds. You can use a hand drill with a tiny bit to drill holes into the resin to string your new jewelry to a necklace, bracelet, or set of earrings.
5. Prepare yourself for many compliments on your creative style.
A Photo Gallery of Resin Jewelry
Vintage Inspired Resin Jewelry
Nature Inspired Vintage Jewelry
Tips for Great Jewelry
- Resin mix always works better when it is at room temperature or warmer. To get rid of small and large bubbles, place the resin mix bottles in warm water in the sink for 10 minutes before using. When mixing resin, follow the manufacturer's directions. However, if after mix the resin until it is perfectly clear despite what the directions say. This will ensure a flawless coating.
-Never overfill a bezel cup with resin solution. If you are working with a small cup, it is better to add resin to the cup with a toothpick or craft stick rather than pouring it into the cup.
-If you create a resin piece and accidentally touch it leaving fingerprints or have any other flaw, you may be able to salvage the piece. If the resin is still soft, you can apply heat from a hairdryer on low to melt the flaw out of the surface. If the piece dries with a noticeable flaw, you can wet sand the entire piece with a fine sanding block until the flaw is removed. Let it dry and remove any sanding dust. Re coat the top with mixed resin solution and a paintbrush. This will restore the flawless finish.
Resin Jewelry Masterpieces
10 Ways to Recycle Scrapbook Paper
1. Use high quality leftover scrapbook paper to wallpaper a child's dollhouse. Apply with glue.
2. Cut fancy left over scrapbook paper to fit and line hat boxes and jewelry cases.
3. Use a die cut pattern to make fancy gift tags out of scrap paper. Paper can be glued to pre-made gift tags or made into fold over gift tags.
4. Cut a 2” x 6” piece of cardstock. Glue scrapbook paper to both sides of the cardboard to make a bookmark. Punch a hole in the top of the card and add some pretty ribbon for a tassel. Accentuate with beads.
5. Elegant scrapbook paper can be recycled to make a stunning kitchen cutting board. Purchase a standard wooden cutting board. Place a collage of matching scrapbook paper onto the cutting board. Cover the wooden board with a thick coat of clear coat polyurethane. Allow the board to dry for many days.
6. Cut photos emblems from pieces of scrapbook paper and decorate envelopes for cards and gifts.
7. Use larger pieces of paper to wrap small gifts. Top with an elegant ribbon.
8. Create a collage on a blank note card or card stock. Cards can be personalized for any holiday or occasion.
9. Cut paper scraps into squares and keep them handy for children's crafts such as Christmas cards and ornaments.
10. Create a collage of fancy matching papers and place it in a photo frame. Glue small decoupage materials such as pearls, butterflies, or flowers to the paper. Add ribbons to create a stunning pattern. Insert the glass. If using a shadow box, add beautiful items such as silk gloves or scrap jewelry. You have a ready made picture!
Other Great Craft Ideas:
- How to Make a Seashell Votive Candle: Seashell Crafts
Tutorial on how to make a votive candle from a seashell. Also includes alternate directions for making wine bottle candles.
- How Make Your Own Wine Glass Charm Rings and Markers
A detailed tutorial on how to make wine glass charms or markers. Discussion on the ease and low cost of this craft that is great for home décor or for gift giving.
- How to Make Botanical Jewelry with Pressed Flowers and Resin
A tutorial on how to create jewelry using pressed flowers and resin. Make a necklace or bookmark. Also includes alternative instructions for making seashell jewelry.
- How to Decorate Paper Mache and Wood Letters and Words With Fabric or Paper
An instructional article on how to decorate paper mache or wooden words and letters. Great idea for a child's nursery!
- How to Make Ceramic Tile Coasters with Napkins or Photos
Detailed instructions with photos on how to make coasters from ceramic tile decorated with napkins or your favorite photos.
- Design a Girl's Dream Bedroom With a Carousel Horse Theme
- Make a Vintage Style Inspired Decoupage Wooden Tray
A guide on how to make a vintage wooden serving tray with decoupage scrapbook paper. Also includes guides on how to refinish wood and metal antiques for beginners.
- How To Make Beautiful Nail Polish Jewelry
- How to Make a Rose Petal Filled Tutu (Sewing and Non Sewing Directions)