Cricut Explore Tips And More
When the Cricut Explore first came out on the market, I was lucky enough (and smart enough) to get one right out of the gate. I have loved this cutting machine from the first day that I opened the box. Like many of you, I have learned through trial and error what works and what does not. I do have to give kudos to Provo Craft who have done a great job in setting up and getting out lots of information. And the craft world has gone crazy over this machine. So here are the best tips and tricks from my own experiences as well as some pointers that I have gathered. I hope that this information helps you have the best experience with your Cricut and Happy Crafting !
1. How To Unbox Your Cricut Explore Air And Explore One
What you get in your Cricut Explore box will depend on the package that you purchase. The more you spend, the more you will get.
Basics that you will get include:
- The Cricut Explore machine
- Power cord for your unit
- The blade housing and the blade ( already installed)
- The pen holder and adapter
- Supplies for a sample project
- A green mat
- A pen
- Directions to put it together
Out Of The Box- Setting Up Your Cricut Explore/Explore 2
2. Get Design Space
Design Space is the computer platform that will help you create projects, cards, scrapbook pages and paper crafts. The very basic Design Space is free to use..
There are three packages that provide design space for use with your Cricut.
You can pay a monthly fee of $9,99. You get 400 fonts and 90,000 images with your subscriptions, You also get 10% off all orders on Cricut.com and 10% off licensed images,
You pay $95.89 annually fee.You get all the goodies offered in the monthly fee. When you pay the annual fee, you get a reduced monthly rate.
The premium membership is available for $119.88 one time annual fee. You get all of the above. You also get up to 50% savings on all licensed fonts, images and ready to make projects. You also will get free economy shipping on orders over $50.
Cricut Design Space For Beginners
Design Space Resources
- Cricut Explore Basic Lesson 1 - YouTube
This video is about Cricut Explore Basic Lesson 1
- How to Use Fonts in Cricut Design Space - Addicted To Cricut
Cricut beginners need to learn How to Use Fonts in Cricut Design Space. It's easy once you know the tips and tricks. Find out in my video tutorial How to Use Fonts in Cricut Design Space.
- How to Slice in Cricut | How to Slice in Design Space - My Crazy Good Life
If you are new, or if you just aren't sure what all those buttons are for, today we're learning How to Slice in Cricut | How to Slice in Design Space!
- Design Space – Help Center
FAQs, how-tos, troubleshooting, and more.
- How to install or uninstall Cricut Design Space – Help Center
Installing Design Space Cricut Design Space can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer or as an app on your iOS or Android device....
3. Upload Your Old Cartridges
if you have some old Cricut cartridges, you still have the option to upload those images. These machines offer the last chance to do so. If you opt to purchase the Cricut Maker, that option is not available.
Linking your cartridges is easy:
- Navigate to www,cricutdesign/com and sign into your account.
- Once you’ve logged in, click again on the green account button and select “Cartridge Linking” from the drop-down menu
- Insert the cartridge firmly into the port on the Explore machine. Make sure your Cricut Machine is turned on and connected to your computer.
- Once the cartridge is detected, you will be prompted to link the cartridge to your Cricut.com account. Click “Link Cartridge.”
Cartridges can only be linked to one account. Once they are linked they cannot be unlinked,
Your cutting blade is already loaded into the holder and it will last for quite a while, depending on your use. It is smart to have an extra blade handy, just in case
More Resources For Linking Cartridges
- How to Use Cricut Cartridges: A Beginner’s Guide | Cut, Cut, Craft!
I'll cover how to use Cricut cartridges with the Cricut Expression and Cricut Explore Air 2. I'll show you how to link cartridges to your Cricut account, and then how to find all the images and fonts from those cartridges in Design Space on your comp
- Linking Cartridges PDF
The Cricut PDF description with images for linking cartridges
4. Review The You Tube Videos
You may feel lost when it comes to where to start with your Cricut Explore. Even if you have been using a Cricut for a while, you may be missing on a lot of functions that your Cricut has, without knowing they were there. Not to worry, Provocraft, the maufacturer of the Cricut has you covered. There are also a host of seasoned users who will help you learn and grow with your Cricut.
We have put them in an order that will help you go step by step to learn how to get the most from your Cricut.
- Cricut - Print then Cut tutorial - YouTube
Learn how to Print and cut vinyl with me ! GET A CRICUT https://amzn.to/2pQ7Lvu FIND ME ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/corinneblackstone MY CHANNEL htt...
- Paper flower tips and tricks using Cricut Explore - YouTube
learn how to put together dimensional flowers cut using your Cricut Explore machine.
- Cutting Stencils with the Explore - YouTube
Want to learn how to cut stencils on your Cricut Explore? It is so simple to do! To get this file please go here - http://jamiemelissa.weebly.com/free-design...
- Print and Cut with Cricut Explore - YouTube
Cricut Explore tutorial This tutorial shows how to use the Print and Cut function in Cricut Design Space 3. I am using a Cricut Explore Air machine - LOVE it...
- How to use Pens with your Cricut Explore - YouTube
I hope you enjoy this project! I wanted to share how easy it is to the pens with your Cricut Explore One. http://katieskiff.typepad.com/justme/2017/04/how-to...
- Working with Text and Fonts in Cricut Design Space - Beginner's Guide - YouTube
A beginner's guide to text and fonts in Cricut Design Space Visit me at LorrieNunemaker.Com Cricut Design Space Tutorials Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/p...
How To Clean Your Cricut Explore
If you are working with materials that you have never cut before, always do a test cut on a piece of scrap material to make sure you have the right settings
5. Get The Right Tools For Your Cricut Explore
Your Explore package may come with some tools or may not depending on the offer and the price that you paid. You might have opened the package and found these tools and wondered what they were about.
Here are the tools that you need for your daily use of the Cricut Explore. They can be purchased singly if you only need one or two. Or they can be purchased as a package where you will always get the better value.
- Scoring Stylus-Scores folds and lines for cards, envelopes and more
- Fine Point Tweezers-Lifts and secures cuts and delicate materials
- Weeder-Removes negative or unwanted sections of cuts.
- Detail Scissors-Has a detailed micro tip with a cover. Use to snip fine detail on all materials
- Spatula-Lifts your cuts from the mat. Prevents ripping of parts of the cut
- Scraper- Assists is burnishing materials and helps you clean off the mat
Basic Cricut Tool Set
This set includes every thing that you need to get started with your new Cricut electronic cutting machine. All the basic tools are included in one package, which makes it the best buy over buying them as singles. I have everyone of these tools and use them daily as I create projects.
When cutting paper or card stock remove the mat from the material (rather that the material from the mat). This will prevent the card stock from curling.
Always remove the mat from the material, rather than the material from the mat ! You will prevent curling of the material, especially paper
6.Getting The Most From Your Mats
Your Cricut Explore will more than likely include the green sticky mat. This mat is the most often used mat for general projects, The mats come in 12" by 12" sizes. There is a green mat (medium strength mat) that comes in a 12" x 24" size for larger projects.
There are other mats that you can purchase as singles or in a package. Some of the packages will include one of each type of mat. Others will include several types of the same mat.
- Blue Mat - is for lightweight materials and paper. You could use this on vellum, thin card stock, vinyl and vellum
- Green Mat- This is the mat that you will use most frequently, It is the mat for medium materials like card stock, patterned paper, vinyl and iron on vinyl
- Purple Mat-is a strong grip mat that is used for things like thick cardboard, glitter card stock, magnet materials, chipboard and poster board
- Pink Mat- is for fabric
You will see a lot of different ideas on keeping your mats clean. However I recommend using the method that the manufacturer recommends. That is to wash your mats in dish detergent and water. You will find that it works just fine. Following their recomendation will not void your warrenty. Allow to air dry.
I have used the product Awesome as seen on the internet and I found that it removed a lot of the adhesive from the mat.
Green Mat Tip
The green cutting mat is pretty sticky when brand new! After you peel the plastic cover off, you can place a clean, dry t-shirt over the mat in order to prime it for your first project. It’s really hard to get the cardstock off, even if you have all the tools, when it’s at its full stickiness! It’s easy to damage the project while trying to get it off.
More About The Dial On Your Cricut Explore 2
The dial settings are relatively simple to master.
- The top button which is a circle with a line in it, is your on and off button
- There are three buttons on the bottom. The ones with the arrow up and down is the button to accept your mat or remove it. The C with the antenna starts your cut once you have loaded your mat. The two lines together will stop your cut at any time you need to.
- The actual dial sets the type of material you are going to cut. The customize button is for any material not on the dial. When you get ready to make your cut, design space will give you a list of materials to select.
Making Your First Cut
7.Make The Sample Projects
Jump right in ! I promise the water is fine ! Every Cricut Explore will come with a sample project. Follow the directions and you will be well on your way to your first cut.
Project not cutting or only partially cutting? make sure that you have the right material setting for what you are cutting. We are all guilty of forgetting to reset the dial ! Check your blade to make sure that there is no paper stuck on it.
8,Using The Write Feature
Your Design Space comes with several fonts already loaded into the system. Many of them are free to use. Others may have an extra one time fee. If you opt to purchase a font, and you have the monthly or yearly payment plan, you will automatically get 10% off.
- Insert text onto the Canvas by selecting the Text tool from the panel on the left side of the Canvas. On the iOS or Android App, select Text at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Windows/Mac: The Text Edit bar and a text box will appear.
- iOS/Android: The font list will open.
- Select the font you wish to use. Then type your text in the text box. Use the “Return” key after a line of text if you want to create a new line of text in the same text box. On a Windows/Mac computer, you can type your text before selecting a font. The text will render on the Canvas in a default font.
- Select an area outside the text box to close it. Now you can move, size, and rotate the text.
- To edit your text, simply double-click or double-tap on the text. The text box will open. Options to change the font, font style, font size, letter spacing, line spacing, etc. are accessed through the Edit bar at the top of the Canvas (Windows/Mac) or Edit tool at the bottom of the Canvas (iOS/Android) when your text is selected.
How To Make 3D Flowers With The Cricut Explore
More Cricut Explore Tips
- Make a Card with your Cricut Maker or Explore | Tips – Write – Cut Out ̵
Get all the basics you need to create a card using the Explore
- Cricut Explore: Paper Tips & Tricks - YouTube
Visit our website: http://us.cricut.com/home/learn/supplies/ The Smart Set dial on your Cricut Explore personal cutting machine has options for cardstock, li...
© 2019 Linda F Correa