- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Holiday Craft for Kids : Reuse Scrap Fabrics to Make Gift Pouches
Leftover Fabric From Sewing Can Be Reused And Repurposed
© Chitrangada Sharan Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- Everyone has some creativity in them. And when it comes to creating something with scrap or already used materials, it gives me great satisfaction.
- When we reuse and re purpose paper, fabric, plastic, metal boxes etc. we are not only saving our money but also doing our little bit for our environment.
- I am fond of sewing and when cut pieces pile up, I use them in making small utility items.
- It is so easy to make them and you have all the materials handy.
- Cloth or fabric pouches are more durable and reusable as compared to paper pouches. They can be washed and cleaned as well.
Here is a tutorial to make gift pouches.
What You Will Need:
- Left over cut pieces of fabric from your earlier sewing work.
- I have used embroidered silk saree borders here. Those sarees were old and worn out but the borders looked bright.
- You can use whatever fabric scrap you have
- Some coloured ribbons
- Sewing machine
- Matching threads
- A little of creativity and imagination
The Indian Tradition:
In many parts of India, whenever a married female guest comes to attend a wedding ceremony or some ceremony, there is a practice to give some rice, turmeric and cash in return.
This is considered very auspicious and is a must.
These pouches are most suitable for that as the amount of rice is very less, just right to fit in these pouches.
Later on these pouches can be used to keep other small articles.
“To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.”
Leftover Fabric Gift Pouch: Rectangle shape
- This pouch is 6 inches x 4 inches in size. You can make according to your preference/ available fabric/ what you are going to pack inside.
- This is ideal for jewelry such as earrings, rings, bracelet etc.
- Cut the the fabric and sew edges on your sewing machine. Remember to sew the reverse side first.
- Fold and sew the upper edge in such a way that you can insert a colored ribbon later.
- Finish by reversing the right side and finish the edges.
- Insert the ribbon.
Leftover fabric square shaped gifting pouch
- This pouch is suitable for gifting chocolates, crayons, other stationary materials for the children.
- The ribbon is kept a little large so that they can carry it in their hands or shoulders.
- Cut the fabric to size according to your preference. I have cut it 6 inches x 6 inches.
- The colored ribbon is 12 inches long.
- Sew the fabric as shown in the picture--reverse side first.
- Sew the ribbons at the right and left edges neatly.
- Reverse to turn on the right side.
- You can sew along the edges on the right side now to enhance the look.
- You can even use some contrast thread for that purpose.
- The gift pouch is ready.
Leftover fabric scrap to make gift pouch
- This gift pouch is slightly round in shape at the bottom.
- This is ideal for keeping coins etc.in your bigger purse, so that you can find them easily when needed.
- This can also be used to keep small items, which can be lost easily.
- Cut in round shape at the bottom.
- Sew reverse side by placing the colored ribbon in center.
- Fold at some places while sewing, as shown in the picture.
- This will enable it give round shape to the pouch.
- Fold and sew at the upper edge to insert the colored ribbon.
- Finish neatly.
Do you like reusing leftover fabric?
What else can you make with cut pieces of fabric?
There are many useful things you can make with leftover fabric or cut pieces of fabric.
- Cotton fabric can be used to make table mats, coasters, stuffed toys, cloth for toys such as dolls etc.
- You can also use them to sew towel hangers and bathroom rugs.
- By combining different cut pieces you can make foot mats, cushion covers etc.
- It involves a little labor and some creativity to create beautiful gift items.
- Silk or cotton fabric can also be used to make fabric flowers.
So go ahead, create some beautiful gift pouches with your creativity and imagination!
Handmade gifts are made with love and affection!
© Chitrangada Sharan 16th Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Doors are for people with no imagination.”
― Derek Landy, Skulduggery Pleasant
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- DIY Easy Craft For Kids: Reuse Waste Materials To Ma...
Reusing raw materials reduces the possibility to be manufactured again, reduces the need to dispose used materials, saves your money, is good for our environment, as you save some natural resources.
- Interesting Facts And Significance Of 'Indian Bangl...
Elegant, delicate, colorful n decorative 'Bangles' are worn by women as part of Indian culture and tradition. They look beautiful; are considered auspicious and their sound wards off negative energy.
- 5 Gift Ideas For Your Precious Daughter: Self Made G...
When it comes to giving gifts to precious ones, I prefer adding that personal touch.Daughters are most precious gifts of God. When young, you shower your love, which they return when you are old/weak.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan