Easy Holiday Crafts for Kids: Reuse Waste Materials to Make Multi-Purpose Holders for Pens, Pencils, Spoons
Why should We Reuse and Re-purpose?
Anyone might think, what is the necessity of using old, used and waste materials to make a pen, or a pencil stand, when we can easily buy these things, new from the markets.
Of course, we can!
But the whole idea is to save money and natural resources.
Environmental awareness is gradually changing attitudes, with more and more people doing their small bit, to save the natural resources.
Reusing waste materials, such as packaging boxes, metal containers etc. has some advantages:
- Raw materials, if reused, reduces the possibility to be manufactured again.
- It will reduce the need to dispose used materials, which of course involves money and manpower.
- It saves your money, as a reusable article is mostly cheaper, than the single use products.
- Indirectly, it is advantageous for our environment, because you save some natural resources in the process.
Can implementing the three R's - reduce, recycle, reuse, save you money? If you only implemented the three R's in your kitchen, you would save money."
How to make a Pen or Pencil Stand, by Reusing Waste Materials?
Follow the steps to make a multipurpose holder, which can be used for keeping pen, pencils, colour pens, crayons, combs, spoons, your sewing kit, knitting needles and other, day today materials, organised at one place, in one box.
- I have used a sweets container here. I removed its lid, with a metal container opener.
- Wash the container thoroughly, as it may have residues of the packed food.
- Let it dry from within.
- You can use colourful gift wrappers, cut pieces of cloth or fabric, chart paper, beads, colourful threads, and anything, which has been used previously, and is available with you.
- Your creativity, and imagination, is the limit to create beautiful, and attractive pen or pencil stands.
- Cut the used gift wrappers, according to the size of the metal container, with a paper cutting scissors.
- Then, paste it onto the container with glue. You can also use Fevicol or Feviquick.
- Cut two rounds, equal to inside or outside bottom, and paste them as well.
- While pasting, the colourful paper. make small cuts up to the edge of the container. This makes folding and pasting easier.
- To hide the uneven ends, cut another round of coloured paper and paste it over.
- Decorate with beads, colourful buttons, cartoon characters stickers or any other thing available with you.
- You can also use previously used colourful ribbons, which may be in contrast colour to the base.
And that's it!
Holiday Crafts: Involve your Kids and they will Learn with Fun!
- These multipurpose holders are so versatile, and very easy to make.
- It will be a good idea, to involve kids in such crafts activity.
- It will keep them creatively busy during holidays, and help them to learn something new as well.
- The children will even have fun, through the entire process. A great way to learn with fun.
- These ideas are fun to implement and can become an important and effective lesson for them, towards frugal living, and their efforts to protect the environment.
- There is no limit to the creative ideas, and even the kids can be encouraged to give their own ideas.
- The children with also become aware of their duties and responsibilities, towards the protection and conservation of Environment.
- These pen or pencil holders can also be used to keep combs, kitchen spoons, spoons on the dining table, buttons and threads, medicines etc.
Easy Recycling Craft Ideas for Kids, Source: YouTube
Some food for thought: Best out of waste
Every day, tons of paper and wood are burnt as waste, around us.
Many areas, meant for waste collection are littered, with so much of tin cans that you can't imagine. Tons of metal going to waste, not only destroy the natural beauty, but are a threat to the environment as well.
When you use something normally thrown away, you can be proud, that you have avoided spending your hard earned money. Feel proud, that you have done service to the economy, by reusing things, and cutting down on the national waste.
Therefore think twice, if you are throwing that used tin, used gift paper etc. in the garbage. It can be turned into an attractive and useful piece, and can also be gifted to your loved ones.
"Most of us are familiar with recycle and reusing, but how often do we think of the third R - REDUCE? 'Reduce' is probably the most important of the three Rs because, if we reduced, it would limit the need to recycle and reuse."
Do you like the idea of reusing waste materials, for the sake of environment?
50 Best Recycling Crafts Ideas, Source: YouTube
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan