- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
DIY : Easy Craft for children-Reuse waste materials to make multi purpose holders for pens, pencils, spoons!
Why should we Reuse and Re-purpose?
© Chitrangada Sharan Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
Anyone might think, what is the necessity of using old, used and waste materials to make a pen or pencil stand, when we can buy these things new from the markets!
Of course, we can!
But the whole idea is to save money and natural resources.
Environmental awareness is gradually changing attitudes, with more and more people doing their small bit to save natural resources.
Reusing waste materials, such as packaging boxes, metal containers etc. has some advantages:
- Raw materials if reused, reduces the possibility to be manufactured again.
- It will reduce the need to dispose used materials, which of course involves money and manpower.
- It saves your money as a reusable article is mostly cheaper than the single use products.
- Indirectly it is advantageous for our environment, because you save some natural resources.
Can implementing the three R's - reduce, recycle, reuse, save you money? If you only implemented the three R's in your kitchen, you would save money."
How to make a Pen/ Pencil Stand by Reusing Waste Materials?
Follow the steps to make a multipurpose holder, which can be used for keeping pen, pencils, colored pens, crayons, combs, spoons, your sewing kit, knitting needles and other day today materials in one box.
- I have used a sweets container here. I removed its lid with a metal container opener.
- Wash the container thoroughly as it may have residues of the packed food.
- Let it dry from within.
- You can use colored gift wrappers, cut pieces of cloth or fabric, chart paper, beads, colored threads and anything which has been used previously and is available with you.
- Your creativity and imagination is the limit to create beautiful and attractive pen or pencil stands.
- Cut the used gift wrappers according to the size of the metal container with a paper cutting scissors.
- Then paste it onto the container with glue. You can also use Fevicol or Feviquick.
- Cut two rounds equal to inside or outside bottom and paste them as well.
- While pasting the coloured paper. make small cuts up to the edge of the container. This makes folding and pasting easier.
- To hide the uneven ends, cut another round of coloured paper and paste it over.
- Decorate with beads, colourful buttons, cartoon characters stickers or any other thing available with you.
- You can also use previously used colourful ribbons, which may be in contrast colour to the base.
And that's it!
Involve your Kids and they will Learn with Fun!
- These multipurpose holders are so versatile and very simple to make.
- It will be great to involve kids in this craft activity.
- It will keep them busy in holidays and help their creative side too.
- The children will even have fun through the entire process. A great way to learn with fun.
- These ideas are fun to implement and can become an important and effective lesson for them towards frugal living and their efforts to protect the environment.
- There is no limit to the creative ideas and even the kids can be encouraged to give their own ideas..
- These pen / pencil holders can also be used to keep combs, kitchen spoons, spoons on the dining table, buttons and threads, medicines etc.
"Most of us are familiar with recycle and reusing, but how often do we think of the third R - REDUCE? 'Reduce' is probably the most important of the three Rs because, if we reduced, it would limit the need to recycle and reuse."
Do you like the idea of reusing waste materials, for the sake of environment?
Some food for thought : Best out of waste
- Every day tons of paper and wood are burnt as waste.
- Many areas meant for waste collection are littered with so much of tin cans that you can't imagine.
- Tons of metal going to waste not only destroy the natural beauty, but are a threat to environment as well.
- When you use something normally thrown away you can be proud that you have avoided spending your hard earned money.
- Be proud that you have done service to the economy by reusing things and cutting down on the national waste.
- Therefore think twice, if you are throwing that used tin, used gift paper etc. in the garbage.
- It can be turned into an attractive and useful piece and also be gifted to your loved ones.
© Chitrangada Sharan 8th Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other Related Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- DIY Easy Craft For Kids: How To Make Gift Pouch With...
Some amount of creativity can be seen in every person. And when it comes to creating something with scrap, it is very satisfying. Not only will it save your money, it is good for environment as well.
- 5 Gift Ideas For Your Precious Daughter: Self Made G...
When it comes to giving gifts to precious ones, I prefer adding that personal touch.Daughters are most precious gifts of God. When young, you shower your love, which they return when you are old/weak.
- How To Engage Kids Constructively During School Vaca...
Summer Vacations is an ideal time to make kids Learn with Fun. Channelize their energy in constructive activities, relax, recharge and rejuvenate and also strengthen their academics by playful methods.
- Recycle Your Old Mobile Phone And Help To Save The P...
Help to keep the Earth green by dropping your old Cell phone in a 'Drop box'. You will help to keep the Environment safe by helping in Recycling process. Electronic wastes contains harmful components!
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan