- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Decorative Scented Gel Candle-making ~ A Fun Craft Tutorial
About home candle-making
Once upon a time, the candles were frequently used in the times of power cuts and candlelight dinners. Now candles are fast becoming popular, particularly in the field of home décor as they impart an artistic appeal to homes. Candles are available in many sizes, shapes and colors. Scented gel candles are now in vogue as they not only possess therapeutic and heavenly fragrances but also have a unique oceanic look. The current trend is that some people look upon home candle-making as a fun hobby. Generally speaking, home candle-making is quite easy compared to commercial candle-making which involves complex techniques and materials. Popularity of home candle-making results in the production and sale of craft kits for craft enthusiasts. Not only it is an enjoyable hobby but also a great stress-buster. I have read that home candle-making is adopted by stressed Indian actresses and Hollywood celebrities as part of their business as recommended by their therapists.
How I came upon this latest craft kit
More than six months ago, I visited a local craft store and after purchasing the materials for my endeavours, I was about to leave. This craft kit, sitting on the top of the pile in front of the cashier-desk, suddenly caught my eye. I thought that I would try this one as I am fond of decorative candles and enjoyed indulging in creative pursuits. I checked its details, contents and price and everything about it was quite satisfactory for enthusiastic beginners like me. With my father's instant approval, I happily bought it. That time, Christmas which was celebrated in India with much fervour every year, was approaching fast and I felt that the gel candle-making kit with its interesting contents would endow my home with a festive mood.
What are inside my craft kit box?
This craft kit was manufactured by a reputed Indian company named Toy Kraft which produced several craft and hobby kits. It was well-packaged and contained many exciting materials as follows:
- 1 big box of 3 small glass tumblers
- 1 medium-sized packet of gel wax
- 1 small packet of wicks and wick-bases
- 1 medium-sized packet containing 4 small packets of sand, each of different colors and 1 small packet of silver glitter powder
- 1 medium-sized packet of several small seashells
- An instruction manual
The only one thing that put a frown on my face was the detailed instructions concerning melting gel wax in a double saucepan. Honestly, I did not expect this but nevertheless, I decided to have fun with this new hobby.
Extra materials for gel candle-making
To make this craft project more easy, these suggested materials proved to be very helpful:
- Double saucepan or double boiler (a small saucepan and apparatus or two saucepans - one bigger than the other)
- Fragrance oils of your choice
- Geometric divider or mini-pliers
- Embellishments of your choice
You can do without the craft kit
If you have a container of gel wax, gel wax candles that require to be melted, glitter dust, colored sand, wicks, wick-bases and other suitable decorative pieces all readily available at your home, then they all come in handy for this craft project. You can also purchase these materials at a local craft store.
A range of candle-holders
The candle-holders can vary in size and shape. For a translucent effect, it is best to go for objects made of ultra-clear glass. The list of candle-holders include the following:
- Drinking glasses
- Wide-mouth bottles
- Ship in a bottle
Use anything made of glass that is suitable for this craft project.
Also remember to reuse old glass objects such as perfume bottles and soda bottles.
Think outside the box
Apart from the contents of the kit-box, you can experiment with your candles in many creative ways. Here is the list of possibilities that you can use for your gel candle-making project:
- Crayons to be melted or shaved to add color to the gel wax as suggested by the instruction manual.
- Beads, rhinestones, pearls, mirror-pieces, mini-toys and other embellishments
- Natural flowers, conifer cones, leaves, potpourri and fruits of your choice (Ensure that these mentioned ingredients exude a pleasant smell)
- Old jewelry-pieces, feathers and pebbles
- Aromatic oils and scented wax chips.
- You can create different themes such as a beach look, Christmas setting and Valentine's mood
- For more creative ideas, visit flickr.com, then type 'Gel candles' and thus you would be overwhelmed by a sea of photos of various themed gel candles.
Feel free to explore many more possibilities!
Special note: Make sure that the ingredients used agree with gel wax and are non-flammable.
Step by step photos
For candle safety, read this detailed and helpful hub by Suzie HQ
Instructions for gel candle-making
Here is the list of instructions on how to create decorative scented gel candles
- The first thing is to wipe the candle-holders thoroughly with a cleaning cloth.
- Then thread the wick through the wick-base and secure it artfully with a thinly-cut cello-tape in the middle of the base of the candle-holder. Ensure that it stands erect in the middle so that it does not fidget with the decorative materials.
- Add the colored sand and glitter powder inside the candle-holder and keep in mind the amount of melted gel wax to be poured in later.
- Arrange the mini-decorations carefully, using a geometric divider. Ensure that they are away from the burning flame.
- Fill the base of the bigger saucepan with some water and boil well. Make sure that there are enough space inside the bigger saucepan for placement of the smaller saucepan in the next procedure.
- Then put the jelly-like gel wax in the smaller saucepan.
- Drizzle a few drops of fragrance oil all over the gel wax. You can add more if you want your candles to exude more fragrant smell.
- When the water is boiling hot, carefully place the smaller saucepan on top of it in the bigger saucepan.
- Sway the saucepan around continuously so that the gel wax melts at a faster rate. Remember that the gel wax once melted should be of normal consistency and should not be too runny. Also make sure that it is not too hot.
- Carefully pour the molten gel wax into each candle-holder and ensure that they are filled to the brim.
- While the gel wax is still molten, sprinkle more glitter powder and adjust the wicks, using the geometric divider.
- Let the molten gel wax solidify for 10 minutes.
- Light the wicks and brighten up your room with a warm glow!
Special note: Only adults and older teenagers melt gel wax in the double saucepan and pour it into the candle-holders. Small children can arrange the kit materials and decorative pieces inside the candle-holders.
For more detailed help, view this YouTube gel candle-making tutorial video
Some important reminders to be considered
- Depending on the brand and type of gel wax, it differs in terms of rate of melting and solidifying.
- If you are particular with the temperature of hot molten gel wax, you can use a thermometer.
- Irrespective of the amount of gel wax poured in, it will occupy the whole area of the candle-holder, including the kit materials and decorative pieces.
- If you have materials required for candle-making available at home, then the preparation may differ. For visual help, view the detailed video posted alongside this capsule.
Also read this useful and engaging hub by Krysanthe
Benefits of gel candle-making
I assure you that gel candle-making is beneficial as follows:
- Gel wax candles are more durable, translucent and replaceable compared to regular wax candles
- Create nice and economical handmade gifts for family, relatives and friends for any celebration or occasion
- Gel candle-making kits can be good gifts for craft lovers
- An ideal money-making craft
- A soothing and pleasurable hobby
Cast your vote in this poll
What would you consider gel candle-making as
My heartwarming hobby
It was indeed a real treat, experimenting with gel candles and the end result turned out decently. I still have remaining seashells, some colored sand and glitter powder left in my craft kit box. Some small glass objects are displayed in my crockery-case, waiting to be turned into attractive candle-holders. I decided to buy more gel wax and different fragrance oils not only for creating new candles but also replace these four candle-holders with fresh ones. Believe me or not, this new hobby gave me a renewed sense of peace and tranquility. Hope it does the same for you!
Copyrights © 2012 by Ishwaryaa Dhandapani