Dragonflies are one of the things I enjoy the most. Not only do I collect them, I also have a purple dragonfly tattoo on my left shoulder blade. My Great-grandmother once told me if a dragonfly lands on you, it is good luck. Then again, her daughter, (my grandmother), always told us when we were little that dragonflies would sew your lips shut! I always knew better, but it was funny to hear her say that!
I also had a very good friend, Mark was his name, and he owned a store called "Imagine" which was full of incense, Tye-dye clothing, bumper stickers, jewelry, candles, witchcraft books and tools, etc, etc... He specially ordered dragonfly jewelry, and whatever else he could get for me too. Unfortunately, last year, my friend passed away from having pancreatic cancer. I miss him, and dragonflies make me think of him. (Dragonflies and Absolute Citron!)
ANYHOW- I hope you enjoy this Dragonfly Art as I did... And the facts, too!
10 Facts on Dragonflies:
1. There are about 5,000 different kinds of dragonflies. 400 of them live in the U.S.
2. When you see two dragonflies chasing each other, it is usually two males fighting to flee the other from the territory. Dragonflies are very territorial.
3. When you see two dragonflies attached, flying, most likely it is a male and female mating.
4. Male dragonfly's penises are shaped like a shovel at the end so it can scoop out any "additions" to the female, by another male dragonfly. (another territorial issue... Apparently, he doesn't like to share!)
5. Dragonflies were here on earth before the dinasaurs were! They haven't changed much since then, besides they are MUCH smaller!
6. The largest wingspan ever recorded on a dragonfly is two and a half feet! (It was a fossil)
7.Dragonflies are very curious creatures, but they will not harm a human one bit. They may fly around your head, or even land on you, but they will never sting or bite.
8. Because of their large multifaceted eyes, the adult dragonfly can see just about 360 degrees around themselves without moving their head!
9. A dragonfly's eyes hold thousands of lenses. Humans only have one. (hmm..)
10. A dragonfly was once clocked at 55 mph!
Dragonflies are "GOOD LUCK"
Can dragonflies really sew your lips together???
Other Hubs you may enjoy:
- Antlions and other unusual insects of Tenerife
Tenerife with its wide variety of natural habitats and semi-tropical to tropical temperatures make it an ideal home for very many unusual insects. One of the most spectacular is the weird looking Praying...