- Arts and Design
Durga Puja - As An Immersion of Art
Durga Puja Festival Images
Durga Puja - The Major Festival of Bengal(India)
Durga Puja is the 4 days major and annual festival of West Bengal (India), as well as its also celebrated in other parts of India with lots of joy, fun and enthusiasm. Durga Puja is the Worship of Shakti(power) in the theme of a Woman Sculpture as a form of Maa(Mother) called Maa Durga (Godess Durga the Universal Mother).
We Bengalis wait for these 4 days of Duga Puja with tremendous interests and eagerness. We celebrate these days with our family members, with new and old friends, relatives, loved ones with lots of joys. People walk around with friends, doing fun stuffs together, playing games, gossiping, watching movies, go for a short trip, etc. At-least these 4 days of the year we try to remove all our grievance and like to dive into the wine of enjoyment.
Go there if your wanna know more about Durga Puja.
Images of Devi Durga
Godess Durga - A Sculptural Art
Devi Durga or Godees Durga is an Idol mostly made by clay, soil, etc. Sometimes artists use thermocol, cardboards, papers etc to create the Idol in different way and in different themes. Anyway the idol is made is an Art, a sculpture or craft art. The artists of Bengal specializes in building the age old tradition of making clay idols. The creation of clay Idol starts 3 months before of Puja. According to the complexity of the Idol some starts it before 6 months or more to complete it totally within the date of Puja (Festival).
- At first the basic structure of the
idols of Goddess Durga is made by Bamboo sticks cut in various shapes and sizes. This is the platform where the colossal statue stands.
- Then the initial figure of Devi Durga is made by straw, tied with jute strings.
- As the skeleton of the Idol is made, other group of Artisans start to apply clay mixing on that structure of bamboo and straw. Its a very long process and done by 3 steps. Most of the sculpting techniques are applied in these steps.
- After finishing the clay work, the idol is dried in fire by blowlamp or by other instrument.
- After the drying process the figure is painted by white earth color, and after the white color dried completely the whole statue is painted with yellow and pink earth color.
- Finally the eyes are painted and other detailing are done by the main artist.
- The idols of Durga are then Varnished and the hair of jute is added in head of the Idol.
- At last the idol is dressed with cloths and different ornaments.
Immersion of Art
The 4 days of Durga Puja Festival is like a dreamland trip for Bengalis. We spend the life like there is no life outside these 4 days, we enjoy these days to its fullest. But we hardly think about those people, who caused this happiness. Those artists, who made those arts, suddenly found themselves in a blank world, once where lots of idols (they mind those idols of Godess Durga as their daughter) used to stay, there is only some empty space, scraps, bamboo sticks, jutes & clay. They have sold those idols by selling in some price, they earn a lot on that festive season. But is the money is enough for those arts, their consistent hard works, restless effort, their emotions, their passions. They really become empty handed after those Idols are sold. You can feel the same whenever you have lost a person of your very close.
After the 4days of festival, the Durga Idol is immersed into river as a tradition. The structure of clay melt down in water slowly. The beautiful art which was done by a persistent hard work of months, becomes to a piece of clay in some hours and flows away through river. Which I called the immersion of art.
Other Hubs About Durga Puja
- Durga Puja Brings Good Fortune To The Businessmen And Traders
Durga puja is one of the biggest puja in India. On this occasion Devi Durga is worshiped as the goddess of Sakti (power). Mostly people of West Bengal celebrate it with great joy and enthusiasm as it is...
- Durga Puja Sms Greetings and Text Messages
Durga puja or the worship of goddess Durga is the main annual festival of West Bengal(India) and one of the major festival of India. The festival is also very popular in foreign countries among Bengali and...