- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Thanksgiving Crafts for Toddlers: Make a Thank-You Place Mat
Make Thanksgiving Special for Toddlers
Thanksgiving is special for many adults; they may get to see family from far away and enjoy a good meal and visit. And while you may not think of it all the time, you understand the meaning behind the busy day. It is also important that your young child also learns the importance of the day and of being thankful in general.
One way to make the day stand out for your toddler is to create fun Thanksgiving crafts for toddlers that they can help with. Here is an idea for a thank you place mat that your toddler can help with and you can use for your Thanksgiving dinner table as both a place mat and place card.
It is a simple craft for toddlers that allows them to contribute to most of the design with guidance and assistance from you. They love to be involved and after the basic set-up, you can let them make the decision on how it looks.
An easy craft for toddlers that is also useful
Assemble Your Supplies
You will need:
- Construction paper
- Markers, crayons, colored pens
Putting the Project Together
- You will want to pick out two colors of construction paper. I went with brown for the background and orange as the center color because they looked like fall, but you can pick any.
- Cut off the sides of the center color so that at least 1 inch of the other construction paper extends from underneath on all sides.
- Glue the center color paper onto the other piece.
- Write a thank-you message on the top of the paper. This saves the center for your little artist. Since this was for my sister, I wrote "Thank you for being my aunt" but you can create any message. If your toddler is old enough, let them direct the wording.
- Now it is your toddler's turn to add to the place mat. Let them draw anything they want on the paper. You can direct older kids to draw something associated with the person the mat is for or let them have free reign to be artistic.
- Once they have finished drawing, you can add other decorations. I cut up green construction paper into little squares like confetti, but you can use stickers, yarn, or anything else. Glue the decorations onto the paper.
- While this dries, you can go outside and look for leaves that have fallen to the ground or pick flowers. Choose any natural items that you want to add to the place mat.
- Take them inside and glue them to the place mat. You will want to put a heavy weight on the mat so that the items are well-attached.
- Once it dries, you can place contact paper over the place mat to laminate it so that it is washable and lasts longer.
Now your place mat is ready to use. Your toddler will be so proud when she helps you put it on the table for Thanksgiving dinner.
Learning By Creating
Making an easy craft for toddlers is a great way for them to learn an important lesson. They will not only remember what Thanksgiving Day is about, they will learn what it means to be thankful, starting with the most important people in their lives.