- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Wire Hanger Craft Projects
Wire Hanger Craft Project Categories
Wire hangers are an inexpensive, readily available craft material that can be used for a wide variety of art projects. Most of the ideas here can be completed in a single afternoon or weekend and are appropriate for a wide variety of ages. Happy crafting!
People have done amazing, innovative things with wire hangers throughout history.
- Don't Eat the Paste: Wire hanger crafts from the past
- Wire Coat Hanger Sculptures by David Mach | HiConsumption
Scottish sculpture and installation artist David Mach is back to his old tricks again, transforming ordinary everyday objects into stunning works of art.
Where do you get wire hangers?
Many people craft with wire hangers because they already have extras on hand. However, if you don't, there are a few easy ways to acquire them.
- Ask family and friends. Many people have lots of wire hangers that aren't being used and are happy to share a few (or a lot) with you.
- Check eBay. The best resource that I've found online for purchasing wire hangers in eBay. Many people sell used, bulk batches for competitive prices. You may find some on Craigslist and/or Freecycle as well.
- Scout garage sales, particularly when people are moving. Before we moved to Milwaukee, I donated over 50 wire hangers that we weren't using (and then inherited about 100 in our house here). If people are having a sale before they move, especially to a far destination, they are likely to be clearing out as much as possible.
How to make a wire hanger purse rack
- Book rack. This is great for wall mounted storage or on top of a shelf. Use this for a living room, den, playroom, or bedroom. This is a great idea for a classroom or library, too.
- Flip flops. Instead of throwing all of your flip flops in a bin, create a little hanging storage piece for each pair. If you have ample hanging bars but limited floor space, this can be a great option.
- Toilet paper. There are no instructions with this post, but the concept is pretty self-explanatory. If you live in an older home, it is likely that you have at least one bathroom without a modern toilet paper dispenser. Rig up one of these, and you'll be all set.
- Frugal Storage Ideas for Small Homes: Creative, Unique Organization Methods
This article is about frugal, cheap storage ideas for small homes and houses. It contains a wide variety of creative, unique organizational methods. It also includes re-usable container suggestions, purchasing resources, and organization tips.
DIY Decorated Hangers
- How to Make Paper Wreaths: Handmade Craft Home Décor Ideas
You can customize many of these ideas for a wire hanger base.
Decorations don't provide functionality to hangers, but they do make them more aesthetically pleasing. Fabric will also add padding, which can be a plus for a lot of people. Decorated hangers are a perfect gift idea for housewarming parties and weddings. Child size plastic decorated hangers are a fun gift for baby showers.
- Beaded hangers. Many of you know how much I love beads. I can't believe that I'd never thought of this before. If you don't have beads on hand, look for cheap bulk packs at Michaels, Jo-Ann, or Hobby Lobby. Don't invest a lot of money in high quality beads that you have to purchase individually.
- Fabric covered hangers. This is an excellent project to use up small scraps of fabric from larger projects. This project does require some sewing, but it is pretty straight forward. Mandi from Making Nice in the Midwest also recommends using vintage scarves. Second hand or bargain priced bandanas are another great option.
- Fabric wrapped hangers. This post has great step by step instructions for wrapping hangers with strips of fabric including an option for adding a gift tag with a whimsical message. Just about any type of fabric will work for this as long as it isn't too slippery or rough.
- Personalized hangers. There is a new trend to make hangers with names or initials across the hanger base. There are many places to buy these hangers, such as Etsy, but you can also take up the challenge and make one yourself. This is the most detailed tutorial that I found for this concept.
How To Make A Heart Shaped Wreath
When you don't have a wreath form on hand and want to put something together without making a tripc to the store, grab a wire hanger. It will make a great base for a wide variety of wreaths.
- Christmas ornament wreath. This has to be one of the simplest Christmas ornament projects ever. Pick up a batch of ornaments after Christmas this year so you can put this together for the next holiday. If you customize the colors, you can use this concept for additional holidays, too. Six Sisters Stuff includes directions for a large bow that will hide the hanger part of the wreath.
- Fabric scraps wreath. I have seen this concept for more sophisticated wreath forms, but there is no reason why a simple wire form won't work well, too. If you don't have enough scraps in coordinating colors, team up with some of your sewing friends and have a wreath making party where you can share fabric.
- Heart wreath with tissue paper. One of the neat aspects of using a wire base is that you can make it into a variety of shapes. Many people opt for a heart.
Home Decor: Chandelier
This didn't fit in anywhere else here, but I had to include it. Use wire hangers to make a chandelier. You can customize this idea any way that you like. There are so many possibilities here. Alternatively, you can take this concept and alter it slightly to make a mobile.
Recycled Craft Resources
- Junk Mail Crafts: How to Make Unique Projects With Recycled Paper
This article is about junk mail crafts. There are a wide variety of unique projects to make with recycled paper including stationery products, wall art, jewelry, and home décor. There are lots of photos and resources.
- Clever Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
- How to Make Aluminum Can Earrings | Soda Can Crafts Tutorial
Aluminum can earrings are the perfect beginner aluminum can craft project. Learn how to quickly and easily make fun, fresh earrings out of old soda cans!