- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Empty Wine Bottle Craft Ideas
What can you make with old empty wine bottles?
Just a Few Ideas
Simpe Home Decor
Old empty wine bottles are a perfect craft medium for many different kinds of home décor projects. With ideas ranging from lamps to vases to hanging decorative pieces, there is something for everyone. Kids will be able to assist with many of these projects. Wine bottles are also a popular item for weddings. You can use them for table numbers, centerpieces, favors, and more. Most of the ideas here are inexpensive and can be completed in an afternoon. Happy crafting!
Remove your wine bottle labels with ease.
Soak a wine bottle in hot, soapy water for one hour. Attempt to peel off the label. If the label does not slide off easily, add more hot water and soak it for a while longer. If your label still needs more help, consider using a water and bleach solution or Goo-Gone. [source]
Are you nervous about cutting a wine bottle? Check out these video tutorials.
There are lots of creative uses for wine corks as well!
- Uses for Wine Corks: Crafts, Home Décor Projects, Garden Ideas, and More
This article is about uses for wine corks. It includes a wide variety of photos, tutorials, and other resources for crafts, home décor projects, garden ideas, and much more. There is something here for everyone.
Natasha also has an excellent wine bottle cutting tutorial!
How to Paint Wine Bottles
Simple Décor Ideas
Some of the simplest décor craft ideas are the most effective. Consider the following easy ideas for decorating your old wine bottles.
- Wrapped. You can wrap wine bottles in yarn, hemp, twine, ribbon, or festive décor (i.e. gold or silver Christmas strands). Surprisingly if you're going to glue your wrapping in place, Elmer's is one of the most effective options. Some people opt to wrap the whole bottle while others opt to only wrap part of it. (Check out partially wrapped bottles here.) Some people just add a simple touch with a knotted ribbon or length of rope.
- Spray painted. If you already have spray paint at home, this is a really easy option that will completely transform a bottle. Are you painted several bottles? Consider color themes, such as an ombre set.
- Ombre frosted. If you still can't get past the ombre concept, consider the simple tutorial from Saved by Love Creations that is linked on the right that uses rubbing alcohol and frosted glass paint.
- Painted on the inside. Pour a little bit of paint inside a bottle and carefully turn the bottle so that the entire interior gets coated with paint.
- Chalkboard painted. Join the chalkboard paint trend and turn an empty wine bottle into a miniature chalkboard with a few coats of chalkboard paint. Paint the whole bottle or just a small section.
- Decorated with permanent markers. You can add virtually any type of design, picture, or writing to either a plain or painted wine bottle.
- "Frosted" with Epsom salt. After you've spray painted your bottles, give them a coat of spray adhesive and then roll them in Epsom salt. More details from Cleverly Inspired with the link on the right.
- Glitter covered. Mix all purpose Mod Podge and glitter and paint it on a bottle.
- Covered in rhinestones or decorative glass stones. You can pick up rhinestones or decorative glass stones for cheap at any big box craft store.
Wine Bottle oil Candle, Wick- Cleverly Inspired
- Candle shelter. This decorative item makes a wonderful table décor piece any time of the year.
- Cut bottle candle holders. Cut off the bottom of a wine bottle and add a candle. Consider putting together a display with multiple bottles that have candles of varying sizes.
- Tall candle holders. After you cut off the bottom of the bottle, stick a tall skinny candle in the neck.
Make a Wine Bottle into a Night Light
- Filled with Christmas lights. One of the simplest ways to make a wine bottle lamp is to fill a bottle with a short strand of Christmas lights. Situate the bottle near an outlet so you can plug it in and easily hide the cord. Some people use a glass drill bit so that the cord can feed through near the bottom of the bottle inconspicuously.
- Table lamp. Turn a wine bottle into the base of a table lamp.
- Tiki torch. Making a tiki torch is one of the more involved projects here, but it is well worth the effort. You will wow guests at every backyard party that you host.
Both real and pretend flowers are perfect for wine bottle vases.
- Felt and Paper Flowers Tutorial: DIY Craft Project
This article is a tutorial for felt and paper flowers. It includes a supply list, step by step directions for making bouquets, and lots of photos. It also includes other suggestions for felt and paper flower projects.
You can use just about any of the ideas from the simple décor section above for wine bottle vases.
Hanging Decor Ideas
- Hummingbird feeder. Do you live in an area with hummingbirds? Attract them to your yard with a recycled materials homemade feeder.
- Lighting. Modify one of the candle or lamp tutorials so that you can hang your bottle. Check out an example here.
- Wind chimes. There are so many different ways that you can configure your bottles to make creative, unique wind chimes.
Tip: Wine bottles are perfect for wedding shower and bachelorette party centerpieces, table décor, and favors, too. Additionally, to keep with a wine bottle theme for a wedding, consider giving mini wine bottles as wedding favors.
Wedding Décor - Dipping Wine Bottles in Plasti-Dip
Many of the ideas featured in this article can be used or slightly adapted to use for weddings. However, there are a few wedding specific wine bottle crafts as well.
- Centerpieces or table décor. Think about how you can decorate your bottles so that they will fit with your wedding theme and colors.
- Table numbers. Many people use chalkboard paint for this concept, but you don't need to feel limited to this. Consider attaching a small sign or sticking one in the top of the bottle.
- Guest book. Have your guests sign a wine bottle with permanent markers. Some people opt to spray paint the bottle first. Make sure that the marker choice will work well with the bottle or paint color.
For those who love wine...
Are you looking for more recycled craft ideas? Check this out!
- Ways to Reuse Empty Pill Bottles: Crafts, Ideas, and More
This article is about ways to reuse empty pill bottles. It includes basic ways to reuse and recycle them as well as craft projects with pill bottles. There are lots of photos, links, and other resources.
- Altoid Tins: Survival Kits List, Craft Projects, and More
Learn how to make survival kits, craft projects, electronic devices, and much more with empty Altoid tins.
- Collage Ideas: Photos, Magazines, and Much More
There are a wide variety of collage ideas and tutorials out there that incorporate many different mediums. There are collage projects here for many different ages and skill levels.