- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Essential Jewelry Making Tools For Beginners
Jewelry Making Tools for Beginners
When you first start making jewelry it can hard to know which tools to buy. There are some essential jewelry making tools for beginners that you do need, and some that you can get away with not having for a while.
The most important ones are those that are going to make your life as a jewelry maker easier, ones that you will use on almost every piece. Then, as you get more proficient and want to try out new techniques you can expand on your jewelry making tool collection.
Jewelry making is a great hobby, it's something that can be done at home in your spare time, whether that be 5 mins (a pair of earrings) or a few hours (a more intricate necklace).
It's quick to get started, as everything you need is widely available either online or in craft or hobby stores, and it has low set up costs - all you really need are the few tools we'll talk about below plus the beads and findings of your choice.
Reasons to Start Making Jewelry at Home
There are many reasons why jewelry making is a great hobby to take up:
- You'll always have the right piece of jewelry for the right outfit - because you can make it yourself
- You'll always have unique pieces of jewelry - something no-one else has
- Jewelry makes great presents for family and friends
- You could take it further and sell your jewelry as a way to make some extra money.
Jewelry making is a hobby that will stay with you for life, and the techniques you pick up can be adapted for other uses, for example adding beaded decoration to picture frames or cushions.
Jewelry Making Tools - The Essentials
There are 4 items I would suggest are essential for anyone starting out in jewelry making to invest in early on.
1. A good pair of scissors - jewelry wire such as tiger tail will not cut easily with wire cutters. This is because much jewelry wire is actually multi-strand wire wrapped in a nylon coating. This gives it the strength it needs to hold the beads but also flexibility and scissors are definitely the best thing to use to cut it. A good pair of scissors can also be used to cut headpins and eyepins to the right length - though wire cutters are advised.
2. Round Nose Pliers - used to create loops in headpins and eyepins so that fastenings can be attached - an absolute essential.
3. Chain Nose Pliers - great for gripping i.e. holding the ends of wire or jump rings steady.
4. Crimping Pliers - where as you can use chain nose pliers with crimp beads, crimping pliers were made for the job and make it a whole lot easier.
Using Round Nosed Pliers
Jewelry Making Tools - Round Nose Pliers
Round nose pliers are possibly the most commonly used type of pliers used in jewelry making.
As the name implies the nose of the pliers are round, in fact cone shaped, and the pliers are used to create loops in wire such as in head pins and eye pins and are probably most commonly used in the making of earrings and bracelets as the attached video demonstrates.
Crimping Using Chain Nose Pliers
Chain Nose Pliers
Flat nosed chain nose pliers are great for gripping things such as jewelry wire or jump rings and as such are an important part of any jewelry makers set of tools.
As well as being essential for holding things in place chain nose pliers can also be used to crimp beads as shown in the attached video.
How To Use Crimping Pliers
Crimping Pliers for Jewelry Making
Crimping pliers are used in jewelry making to attach crimp beads to jewelry wire to either holds beads in place as in a floating necklace, or to secure the ends of jewelry wire so findings can be attached.
Crimping pliers have groves cut into the noses of the pliers making it easy to ensure that crimps are closed in the most efficient manner.
The attached video shows a pair of crimping pliers in action.
Where to Find Jewelry Making Ideas
Sometimes the biggest challenge when starting to make your own jewelry is deciding what you want to make in the first place.
Inspiration can be found in all sorts of places, you can look around at the types of jewelry on sale in local stores and see if there is anything you want to recreate. There are plenty of jewelry pattern books around that will show you how to make various designs. You can take old pieces that you no longer wear and re-use the beads in a new design.
That's the beauty of making jewelry at home, you can have a endless supply of great peices by re-using beads in new and innovative designs.
So let your imagination run wild, get out your jewelry making tools and go and create some fantastic jewelry.
Other Jewelry Related Resources
- Earring Stands for Girls
Earring stands for girls are perfect for keeping all those errant earrings in check. You know how it is, you start with one pair of earrings, turn your back for 5 minutes and somehow that one pair has...
- Jewelry Stands - Jewelry Mannequin Necklace Holder
For those of you who, like me, like to see their jewelry on display, jewelry stands, and especially jewelry mannequin necklace holders are the perfect way to do this. Many necklaces do much better if they...
- Use a Wall Jewelry Organizer to Organize Your Jewelr...
If space is at a premium and your jewelry is threatening to engulf you by its sheer amount, a wall jewelry organizer is the answer to your prayers. Jewelry accumulates, you start with a few pairs of...
- Over The Door Jewelry Organizer
Over the door jewelry organizers are great for anyone who has unruly jewelry coupled with a lack of space. Jewelry has a habit of multiplying, what starts of as a few pairs of earrings and a matching...
- Jewelry Kits - Bracelet Kits
Making your own jewelry is a fun and rewarding pastime, and jewelry kits are a great way to get started with this hobby, with bracelets kits being a good option for a first project. Making jewellery at home...
- Jewelry Kits - Necklace Kits
Jewelry kits are a great introduction to making your own jewelry. Jewelry making is a wonderful pastime. It's inexpensive to start and once you've got the hang of what you're doing the only limit to your...
- Buy Chain Maille Jewelry Kits Online
Chain Maille Jewelry kits are a great way to get started with this ancient art. Chain maille is the art of linking metal rings together to form an almost impenetrable chain. It's original purpose was to...