Free Summer Knitting and Crocheting Patterns, Projects, and Ideas
Many people avoiding knitting and crocheting during the summer. Who wants to think about fuzzy sweaters and thick socks when it's finally warm enough to wear shorts and tank tops without freezing? The good news is that there are still a lot of fun knitting and crocheting projects that produce lightweight pieces that are perfect for hot weather. Whether you're looking for clothing, accessories, or home décor tutorials and ideas, there is something here for everyone. Summer is also a great time to get ahead on Christmas projects for presents and holiday art fairs. Happy crafting!
Ideal Summer Yarns
One way to ensure that a knit or crochet item will be a great fit for summer is to use a lightweight yarn. There are a number of crochet cotton yarns and lightweight fingering yarns (i.e. baby yarn) that are great for these kind of projects. The following list includes just a few of the most popular lightweight yarns.
- Bamboo yarn. Bamboo yarn is soft, stretchy, and available in wide range of colors. One of the most popular bamboo yarn choices for warm weather knitting and crocheting is Caron Spa yarn.
- Cotton blends. Cotton blends include but are not limited to cotton and merino, cotton and worsted weight, and cotton and linen.
- DK weight yarn. DK weight yarn is a light worsted weight yarn that is right in between a sport yarn and regular worsted weight yarn. It is popular for vests and shawls.
- Silk yarn. Silk is smooth and extremely soft. It drapes beautifully.
- Standard or organic cotton yarn. Cotton yarns have a soft texture and drape and are available in a wide range of colors. Most big name yarn brands carry cotton varieties.
- Worsted weight yarn. Worsted weight yarn is readily available in many colors and is very versatile.
[Sources: Free fun summer knitting projects via examiner, Best Summer Yarns for Knitting via ezinearticles (links no longer available)]
It is important to ensure that the stitches are not too loose for summer clothing pieces unless the items will be used as swim coverups or are intended to be worn with something substantial underneath. There are summer knit and crochet clothing tutorials out there for a wide variety of ages from little girls to older ladies and an extensive mix of style preferences.
Whether you're making a tank, t-shirt, or sweater, one of the best parts about creating your own clothing is tailoring the fit for your body. For example, if you find a pattern that you like except for the fact that it creates a cropped garment, adjust it to have a longer length.
- Tank tops. Choose from v-necks, halters, spaghetti straps, scoop necks, and more. Keep it simple or use more intricate stitches and add embellishments such as buttons or shoulder straps with tie closures.
- T-shirts. You can't get a garment for summer that will be much more comfortable than simple knitted t-shirt. Many people opt for light colored yarns in the summer, but if you would rather wear a navy or black t-shirt, go for it.
- Sweaters and cardigans. Many women love the look and feel of lightweight sweaters and cardigans in the summer. You'll get the coverage that you want for those cooler nights without all of the weight of a heavier piece. You can pair these pieces with capri pants, jean shorts, skirts, dresses, and more, allowing them to be dressed up or down for a wide range of occasions.
- Shawls. Knit and crochet shawls are lightweight and breathable, making them a perfect cover on chilly nights and in air-conditioned restaurants. You can dress them up or down for any occasion.
- Yoga socks. Yoga socks do not have toes or heels. They provide warmth and comfort without slipping around, which is ideal for many different exercises and activities.
PINK SUMMER CROCHET SWEATER, baby to adult, crochet pattern, how to diy, easiest sweater pattern
- Free Knitting Pattern: Lightweight Textured Shawl
- 5 Free Knitting Patterns for Women: Free Downloadable Ebook
- Ravelry: Light Summer Sweater pattern by Anna & Heidi Pickles
- Knit Clothing - Cardigan & Jacket Knitting Patterns - Hyancinth Leaf Cardigan - Free Cardigan Kn
- Yoga Socks | Yarn | Free Knitting Patterns | Crochet Patterns | Yarnspirations
Tip: Crocheted flowers are a great way to dress up knit and crochet summer accessories!
- Bags and purses. Bags are an easy way to change up a look for a different occasion or season. There are patterns out there for everything from simple beach bags to complex purses with multiple pockets. Don't forget about options for farmer's market bags as well.
- Lightweight scarves. Scarves are one of the hottest fashion accessories these days. They pull a look together effortlessly. Look for patterns with loose stitches that are breathable for warmer weather.
- Hats. There are free patterns available for sun hats, cloches, bonnets, and more that are ideal for summer temperatures and sunshine. You can customize the brims to fit your personal tastes and preferences.
- Headbands. Handmade headbands are inexpensive and versatile for girls and women of all ages. As they are a small quick project, they are a great way to use up yarn scraps from other projects. If you make a clothing or other accessory piece, think about making a headband that coordinates.
Easiest Shawl Pattern. Ever.
- Crochet Summer Bags, Beach Bags and More! | AllFreeCrochet.com
- Meladoras Creations | Lacy Cluster Ladder Scarf – Free Crochet Pattern
- 15 Crochet Hat Patterns for Summer | AllFreeCrochet.com
- Crochet - Summer Hats on Pinterest : dobermom41 / Kristine Hayworth
- Crochet Headbands -- Free Patterns - about.com
- Small decorative items for tables and shelves. Your imagination is the limit when it comes to knit and crochet décor pieces. If there are specific themes, such as cats or butterflies, that you feature in your home, look for knit and crochet pieces to add to the mix. You can also design these type of items so that they hang as well.
- Fruits and vegetables. Many fruit and vegetable patterns are meant to be used for kids' toys. However, they can also make for cheerful kitchen, dining room, or living room décor. Think about seasonal selections, such as strawberries in the summer and pumpkins in the fall.
- Baskets. Are you looking for inexpensive, attractive storage selections? Whip up some of your own baskets. You can customize the size and colors to fit your needs and current color schemes.
- Curtains. Did you know that you can crochet curtains? There are a wide variety of patterns available, making it relatively easy to find something that fits your home just right.
- Lightweight throws. Swap out the fleece blankets for lighter knit and crochet blankets during the warmer months of the year.
Crochet Home Decor Patterns
- How to Price Homemade Craft Items: Formulas and Other Considerations
This article is about how to price homemade craft items. It includes the most commonly used formulas for baseline, retail, and wholesale pricing as well as a wide variety of advice on the topic.
- How to Sell Handmade Jewelry on Etsy
This article is about how to sell handmade jewelry on Etsy. It includes tips for getting started and creating listings as well as other general considerations for Etsy.
Working Ahead for the Holidays
With a less busy schedule, summer is a great time to work ahead and make Christmas presents and/or inventory for holiday craft fairs and online shops.
- Ornaments. There are lots of ideas for holiday themed ornaments, and of course the possibilities for other themes are endless. Many people enjoy ornaments that relate to their kids, pets, and hobbies.
- Stockings. If you have a new baby on the way or you want to make set of stockings for all of your kids or grandkids this year, summer is a great time to start. You'll have months to get the items finished before you get busy with the holidays.
- Wreaths. Wreaths are all the rage these days, which means that there are patterns and ideas for them everywhere you look online. Knit and crochet wreaths are no exception. If you can't find the exact pattern that you want, don't be afraid to switch up the colors, size, or details.
- Home décor. Many people love to decorate for the holidays. You can make everything holiday themed from pillows to pot holders to fireplace banners to tabletop trees.
Learn to Knit a Christmas Stocking - Part 1
- Free Knitting Patterns For Christmas
A huge selection of free knitting patterns for Christmas, including ornaments and stockings.
- Free Knitting Patterns for Christmas Ornaments - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
- Crochet Pattern Central - Free Wreath Crochet Pattern Link Directory
More Craft Articles From the Author
- Coaster Tutorials: How to Make Coasters from Fabric, Tile, and More
This article is a big round up of coaster tutorials. It includes coaster tutorials for fabric, tile, and more. There are links and photos for all of these tutorials with additional resources for some of them.
- Easy DIY Paint Chip Sample Art Projects: How to Make Jewelry
It is easy and fun to make jewelry out of paint chip samples. Create earrings, necklaces, and bracelets as well as packaging.
- Handmade Beads: How to Make Beads Out of Clay, Paper, Plastic, and Glass: Supplies, Techniques, Tuto
This article is about how to make beads out of clay, paper, plastic, and glass. It includes an overview of supplies, techniques, tutorials and resources for paper, polymer clay, plastic, ceramic, beaded, fused glass, and lampwork glass beads.
© 2014 Rose Clearfield