Gift Ideas for Crafty Kids: Arts and Crafts Teach Children
Gifts that Help Children Learn Through Arts and Crafts
Encouraging creating through arts and crafts helps children do things they never before imagined. The high value of learning all that comes from exercising the creative side of their brains as they exercise new skills and practice following instructions cannot be measured in elementary terms.
The satisfaction that comes from seeing projects go from start to finish inspires children to look for more opportunities to think and create. The affirming sense of a job well done when others, especially the grown ups in their lives, have positive responses to their creative work increases their determination to go forward in life.
It takes time, however, to peruse the stores and the web for just the right item. Take a look at the following kits, books, and sites to find gifts that can inspire kids to create. Help them break out of the commercialized molds that society tries to cast them in and give them the chance to reach for a better future than sitting before a technological screen can give them.
Gifts that Will Inspire Kids' Creativity
From stocking stuffers to heirloom crafts, from little ones to big kids, from individuals to groups, these crafts are big hits. Many are prepackaged kits, but a few are crafts that could easily be made into kits by parents, grandparents, or teachers.
Believe it or not, the best thing about this list is that it is far from comprehensive. Even if you find something that is just what you want, use it as a springboard to continue learning about what is available to help teach kids to create and reach for the stars. Then, feel free to report back here with your info!
Making Believe During Playtime:
• Children can create masks for role playing with this kit.
• A kit for making leaf crowns can inspire elementary writing projects.
• These preprinted zoo masks are ready for crayons and markers.
• This hat making kit comes with tons of craft projects on a CD.
• Farm puppets help toddlers connect their hands to their thoughts.
Help Kids Explore Drawing:
• Even if a kid thinks they are a klutz, show them they can draw!
• For travel, eating out, and waiting times this a neat quiet-time activity drawing book.
• This kit's drawing supplies are kid tested!
• Kids can learn to be more creative!
• Purposeful illustrating for kids.
• Making up kits for this nativity project would be easy, yet it is a stand-alone that kids will love.
• Brightly colored turkeys from this kit will delight kids of all ages.
• Seasonal stencil art teaches eye and hand coordination for early art skills.
• Kits for making spring flower streamers teach skills and provide decorations.
For Birthdays and Parties:
How important do you think it is for children to create art projects?
Learning and Exploring with Activities:
• A big batch of crafty art supplies that lets kid's imaginations run wild.
• A spiral bound letter art book that supplies kids with designs and project ideas.
Kits for Kids
A wind chime kit like the one shown is a great introduction to combining art with nature. It also is an idea starter for using garden items and natural elements such as pebbles, leaves, and branches found on a hike for art projects.
• This gardening lab of lessons takes kids beyond drawing ideas.
• Designing a garden setting motivates kids on several levels.
• Attracting birds is easy with this craft for children.
• Pinwheeling nature fun comes from crafting these flowers and bugs.
Wood and Clay Arts and Crafts:
• A Pottery Wheel Kit for young artisans that will teach them real pottery skills.
• Play-Doh's Breakfast Time Set creates smiles as it encourages young chefs.
• This Activity Kit mixes wood and clay giving children a hands on experience.
• Give a child the feel of creating with wood using this Wood Yo-Yo Kit.
• Classic Wood Crafts Kit lets children learn more about creating with natural elements.
• A Woodshop Tool that gives children's hands the wonderful feel of wood working.
• Find a pottery class and give a gift certificate to introduce a child to this tactile craft.
Kid's Can Draw!
Besides Giving Craft Kits, Consider Books for Encouraging Art in Little Hearts
Art activities in books such as the one shown encourage young artists to expand their skills and their imaginations. Helping them discover the fact that they can increase their competence give them confidence to pursue exploring their abilities.
• The I Love Dirt activity book is packed with ideas for creatively involving kids with nature.
• Hands on History is a resource book filled with teacher approved activities.
• A Book About Art Oops encourages kids to be creative when they think they've goofed.
• Castle: A Fold-Out Kingdom makes imaginations go wild with its working catapult.
• Making Amazing Art introduces young artists to elements of art that will make their work impressive.
• Color Your Own Cezanne allows children to experience a master's work.
• Art Lab for Kids contains 52 creative art lessons for all ages and is loved by parents and teachers alike.
• Online guides for drawing drawing horses can allow kids to make their own book.
• Discovering Great Artists and its 110 art projects lets kids experience history's styles and techniques.
An Endless Stream of Arts and Crafts Activities for Kids:
Pinterest deserves its own slot when it comes to finding projects and activities for children. Perusing the boards specifically built for kids projects is a lot of fun all by itself! Learn more about using paper, rocks, and scissors--along with glue, tape, wood, felt, paint, pencils, ink, light, plastic, cardboard, beads, bubbles, and more!
Set up your own board like mine to keep track of your favorite children activities from across the web. You can use it to introduce your kids craft idea hubs to others, as well as to get new ideas for writing hubs.
On-The-Go Art with Technology:
Learn About Helping Kids Learn Through Art
• Read about kids learning skills through art.
• What's happening with home educators and art?
• How does art make kids smart?
• Safety first is a crafty theme–use a great guide.
Maybe you have a kid's craft idea that you could share in the comments below. If so, don't hesitate–we would love to hear about it!
Preschool Balloon Stamping:
More Hubs with Ideas for Creative Kids:
Paint Project for Little Ones:
Get Mathematically Creative with Legos!
• Free Lego math activities, games, and lessons for kids can help young students understand math concepts and make them love doing it!