- Arts and Design»
- Graphic Art & Design
How To Install New Fonts
Installing a New Font
Installing a Font for Windows
There are a few things you need before you install your new font.
- First, you need to ensure you have a .zip program to unzip the folder. This can be a free program such as Zipper or Program you may already have such as WinZip.
- Open the Zipper program. Select the C\:Windows/Fonts folder in your Destination Directory. If it is not there, do not panic. Simply Add a Folder into your Documents folder then select this as the Directory Destination. You will have one more step to install.
- Find your font and click the download button.
- Open the download in the .zip program and unzip to the font file location of the new folder you created.
- If you installed to the C:\Windows\Font folder, you are done! If not, now open the folder you unzipped the file into. Look for the file label .ttf. This is a TrueType font file and when double clicked will pull up a window. Look for the button in the upper left hand corner and click install.
Another Option: Open the file location and the Font folder at once. Drag and drop the .ttf file into the Font folder to install.
Finding the Perfect Font
There are many websites and artist pages on the web which offer a wide range of fonts for download. Some are free, and others are not. Keep in mind that an artist somewhere designed these new fonts, so a donation would be nice in exchange for your download. However, this is called a donation for a reason and is entirely optional.
A quick search will give you options such as dafont.com, urbanfonts.com and other of the sort. Personally, I have been using DaFont for years. Some of the artists give the option for donation through the site, which is nice.
There are other sites where font selections, packages and so forth are also available. I recommend searching both Etsy.com and even such places as DeviantArt.
Both of the above fonts are from DaFont and have been simply used in a different color. These are considered typography.
Another option with downloading fonts is the Decorative Font option. You will run into a small amount of fonts which use characters custom to their theme instead of letters. These are very useful when making posters and adding bits of art to text. Two examples are below.