- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
Beginners Knitting. How To Knit
The Simple (English) Knit Stitch
In this hub you will see photos demonstrating the English, called "American" method in the U.S., Knit Stitch. I am using extra large knitting needles in the photos to make it easier to see what is actually going on. If you have not yet learned how to cast on CLICK HERE.
#1 After Casting on Do Your First Knit Stitch
After Casting on, begin to Knit
After you have cast on the desired number of stitches necessary for your project, you may begin the knit stitch. If you need to brush up on casting on click here.
Insert the first stitch in the cast on loop that is closest to the point of the needle. See picture #2
Hold the Cast on Needle in Your Left Hand
It does not matter whether or not you are right handed. In the English style of knitting you will hold the worked stitches in the left needle and you will be adding stitches onto the right needle.
Poke the right needle up through the first loop, making sure it goes behind the left needle.
Wrap the long end of the yarn around the right needle....
Pull it down between the tow needles...
.....then slide the right needle down and pull the new loop of yarn through the first one.
Turn the right needle so it points up, and pull the first loop all the way off the left needle.
Continue pulling the needle through. Your goal here will be to transfer the work from the left needle to the right.
Continue pulling up until you have the work transferred from the left needle to the right. Keep light tension with the right hand so that the yarn does not become too loose.
You'll end up with one loop on the right needle and the other cast on stitches on the left.
Tips For Buying Yarn
- Check yarn labels for the dye lot number and purchase all yarn of one color from the same dye lot. Each number represents a diferent dye bath and may differ slightly from one to another.
- Buy enough yarn of the same dye lot to complete the project. Many stores will accept the return of unused skeins within a reasonable time. Be sure to ask before purchase.
- Check the yarn label for wash ability and other care information If none is given, you should wash and block your gauge swatch to see how the yarn responds to these procedures.
- If a yarn label gives gauge information, the needle size mentioned is the one recommended for that particular yarn. It is wise to stay within two sizes of the recommendation.
- To duplicate the appearance and fit of your chosen pattern, you should always buy the yarn recommended for it.
- If you choose to substitute another yarn for the one recommended, select yarn as close as possible to the original in weight and type.
- Should you need to convert ounces to grams or vice versa, use this formula: 100 grams =3.52 ounces. for example if 16 ounces of yarn are called for, and you are substituting a yarn weighed in grams, devide 16 by 3.52 and multiply times 100. The quantity is 454 grams.
- Before each purchase, check a yarn's recovery. Stretch and release a 6" length. If it does not return to its original size, you cannot expect the kitted article to hold its shape.
There are three basic types of knitting needles-single pointed, double-pointed, and circular,
Needle thickness is signified by number . The higher a number, the thicker the needle and the larger the stitch. While there are no precise rules for needle and yarn relationship. generally, thicker yarns should be worked with large needles, thinner yarns with small ones. If a needle is too large for the yarn, knit structure will be flimsy; if too small, texture will be too compact and inelastic; Yarn labels often include a recommended needle size; a safe approach is to stay within tow sizes of this number.
Needle length should be chosen according to a project's dimensions, and only has to be sufficient to hold all stitches comfortably. In general, shorter ones are easier to manipulate. A circular needle should be at least two inches less than the circumference of the knitting
Choice of needle material, plastic, metal, wood, is largely a matter of personal preference and availability. Plastic is quieter and somewhat easier for beginners to manage. Metal is noisier but stitches slide more readily, and advantage for the fast knitter. Wood is esthetically pleasing, but weed needles are scarce and more trouble to maintain.
In caring for needles, it is best to store then flat with their points protected. An occasional rub with waxed paper helps retain a slick surface.
- Results of Silicone Breast Implants
Breast implants are so common these days that everyone knows at least one woman with either silicone or saline implants. Silicone implants look and feel more natural, but saline implants are considered less complicated. Silicone boobs can be seen eve
- How to Fade Freckles & Sun Spots for Good, Best Cream for Fading
fade freckles and sun spots. freckles removal, obagi, inexpensive freckle removal and fade cream, permanently remove freckles and brighten skin, get rid of age spots,and sun spots, fade freckles, achieve flawless skin, no more sun damage
True Crime Reading
- Dan & Betty Broderick. And Linda Kolkena
A woman scorned. Betty Broderick was determined to be the perfect mother and wife. She sacrificed all for Dan Broderick. As soon as Dan became rich and successful, he did not want any part of Betty, and he hired Linda Kolkena as his assistant and mis
- Blood, & Money. The Strange Case of Dr. John Hill & Murder in Texas.
the strange case of Dr. John Hill and Joan Robinson Hill. John's affair with the thrice divorced Ann Kurth was the beginning of the end. Joan died suddenly in 1969 at age 38.
Reading for the Entrepreneur
- Richest People- John D Rockefeller, Donald Trump and Mitt Romney
The richest people get are fascinating for many reasons. Some people are simply dazzled by what the see as lifestyle, others resent the richest people, and some wish to learn how to be rich by watching what the richest men are doing. John D Rockefell
- How to Make a Lot of Money on eBay. 10 Good Ways
Make money on eBay now. How to make money with ebay with an ebay store. Then Make money on ebay selling articles that you need to get rid of. The ebay money making opportunities are endless.
- Best Entrepreneurs; John Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, J. Paul Getty
Best Entrepreneurs: John Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, J. Paul Getty. Standard Oil, Steel, and Pacific Oil. An entrepreneur can create wealth and greatness with creativity, guts and determination. If you want to learn how to be an entrepreneur the be
- 5 Ways to Make Money While in Nursing School
ways to make money while in nursing school. hubpages, nursing school, blogging