How To Make A Beer Can Airplane For Dad.
Things That Your Going To Need:
These are great models and look beautiful, they cost a fraction of what a real model airplane would cost you at the local hobby shop. If you want a great gift that you can make with your bare hands while tossing back a few beers and justifying the beer you consume to the pretty little wife. Here is a great way to stay in the garage or on the back porch drinking your wonderful beer. While making something out of those used beer cans and staying out of the better half's way.
You will need:
ID. to prove your over 21 years of age to follow these steps.
Three empty beer cans washed out.
Some Elmer's all purpose glue or equivalent.
A permanent marker.
18" peace of 2x4 lumber.
A small screw (#8x32x1-1/2").
A nut (#8x32).
Exacto knife or box cutter.
Optional: You can add more cans to add a top wing and supports or make the body longer. Use your emagination and have fun..
Last but not least don't forget the beer. The amount will depend on the individual.
This is where the magic begins. First gather all the materials listed above. Make sure beer cans are rinsed, scissors are sharp and a new blade is in your exact-o knife or box cutter. Also it's a good idea to wear your gloves, leather ones as the cans are very thin and the cutting tools are sharp.
1. 1/2" from the to of the first can carefully poke a hole in the can with the scissors to not crush the side of the beer can and remove the top. Keep the top for later use.
2. Second can use The same as steps 1. only this time you will make your cut 2-1/2" from the bottom. Keep the bottom for later use.
3. Third can cut both the top and bottom off then cut center part of can in half to lay out flat. This will be the wing section.
4.On the shiny side of the flat sheet you made from the can you will draw two wings that are the same. They should be approximately 5" long. You will also draw your propeller, approximately 3" long.
5. Cut out both wings and propeller. Remember gloves as beer and sharp objects don't always mix well together.
6. Now back to the first can. Make to incisions in the midsection of the can with your box cutter or exact-o knife. The incisions should be as wide as you made your wings and the wings should fit fairly snug. Now make a horizontal slit across the bottom of the can for the tail section to be placed.
7. Now its time to put the wings on. Slide the wings in place and secure them with glue.
8. For the tail section use the scrap sheet left over from the wings draw a triangle 3" with rounded corner at the top and a small tab 1/4' x 1-1/2" to slide into the horizontal slit you cut into the can and glue in place.
9. Remember that bottom i told you to save. Take the bottom you cut off earlier and drill a hole directly in the center of the bottom of the can. And do the same for the propeller you cut out earlier. Take the bolt and propeller and attach it to the can but not to tight so it will spin freely.If you want to make your plane with wheels you can use a wire hanger and other beer can bottoms for the wheels. Another way is to run down to the local hobby shop and purchase landing gear, which ever way you want to go with it just cut the slits into the bottom if your new airplane to accommodate the wire or folded aluminum pieces and glue in place.
10. Now that the airplane is complete all that's left to do is sit back finish your beer and marvel at the art work you just created. This is a good time to talk with your buddy's and show off your new battle wounds while bragging about your new airplane..