How to Personalize a Canvas Tote Bag
Canvas Tote Bag Selections
Personalizing a Canvas Tote Bag
Whether you are looking for a cool bag to tote your beach gear in or if you are looking for something to carry your library books in, personalizing your tote is not only fashionable, it is great fun. Finding a plain canvas bag is easy. They are readily available at craft stores such as Michaels or online through Amazon. So how can you get started? Grab your bag, some fabric glue, paints, markers if you want and some creativity!
Step by Step Photos to Decorating a Canvas BagClick thumbnail to view full-size
Fun Beach Sayings for Your Beach Bag
- Life's a Beach
- Fun in the Sun
- Beach Bum
- Hang Ten
- Surf's Up
- Splish Splash
- Bathing Beauty
- Sandcastles in the Sun
- Footprints in the Sand
- Treasures From the Sea
Step by Step Instructions for Personalizing Your Canvas Bag
- Choose your bag. There are a variety of colors, styles, and sizes to choose from.
- Select your fabric and ribbon that you would like to add to your bag. There so many styles and colors to choose from that you will be able to create a very unique bag for yourself.
- Measure the width of your bag and cut the length of your fabric about 1/2 inch longer than the width. Then measure the height at about four inches. You will need 3 inches for the front and then about an inch to tuck and glue on the inside.
- Measure the from the top of the bag down to about three inches and place a dot to mark the height. This will be your guide for gluing the fabric.
- Glue the fabric so that it meets your three inch mark on the bag. Cut away the fabric where the straps of the bag are so that you can fold the fabric over and then glue the extra to the inside of the bag.
- Repeat for the other side of the bag and allow about 10-15 minutes to begin to dry before continuing.
- Cut two pieces of ribbon that is three inches long. Glue this on the sides of the bag where the two pieces of fabric meet. Fold and glue the top of the ribbon over so that it looks clean on the front.
- Next measure and cut two ribbons that are about a half of an inch longer than the width of your bag. Glue one to the very bottom edge of your fabric and wrap the excess around to the front. This will cover any frays from the fabric. Repeat with the second ribbon on the other side.
- Now you can add any sayings, pictures, rhinestones, flowers, or any other embellishments to add beauty and originality to your bag. Allow your bag to dry for at least 24 hours before you use it.
Fabric Paint and Markers
Easy Summer Crafts for Kids: Tote Bags
This craft is a perfect one for kids to do as well. When I made my beach bag, my kids made one for themselves. Of course the results will not look quite as sophisticated, but they will have lots of fun! They can use their bags for their own beach towels, sunglasses, sunscreen or even to carry some beach toys. This is a great activity for a day camp activity or just something for the kids to do on a rainy day.
I allowed my kids to choose their own fabric and ribbons to add to their bags. I also put out fabric paint and stencils with fun designs like cupcakes, butterflies, ice cream cones, etc. Since my kids are still quite young, I also gave them fabric markers to use. This gave them a little more control in their designs than paint would. With guidance, they were able to glue down their fabric and ribbon as well as add their creative touches to their bags. I did all of the cutting and measuring for them. In the end, they had lots of fun and are excited to bring their very own beach bags with us to the beach this summer!