- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
How to Knit a Dishcloth: Free Knitting Pattern - Baby Stroller Pt1
As a beginner knitter, you probably only know how to do the stitches of Knit (K) and Purl (P). When I began knitting, I only knew how to do the Knit (K) stitch. It took me a while to learn how to Purl (P).
Learning How to Knit
Because this article became so long, I have split it into two parts. The second part of this article will teach you how to knit and purl so that you can create this washcloth. Be sure to catch the short and sweet videos to learn how to knit.
It is much easier to learn how to knit by watching a You Tube or other kind of video rather than it is to read a book that teaches you how to knit. This includes books with pictures! You may be able to master the basic stitches of knit and purl with proper pictures, but if you struggle, I strongly recommend checking out a video. Part two will provide you with plenty of videos to learn from.
Dishcloth: A Beginner's Washcloth
This dishcloth was created for first time knitters who only know the stitches of knit and purl. I have only included those two stitches. Therefore, you only need to know the knitting basics and the easiest knitting stitches in order to create this knitting pattern, so have no fear! It is not too advanced for anyone!
- How to Knit a Dishcloth: Free Knitting Pattern - Baby Stroller Pt2
The second part of this article on knitting a baby cradle will help with alterations to the free knitting pattern, tips for knitting washcloths and dishcloths along with instructions on how to knit.
Why Make a Homemade Dishcloth?
Some of the great reasons to make a homemade knitted dishcloth for a special occasion include:
- A way to save money – you probably already have the supplies you need so it’s free to make!
- A personal gift – making a gift like a baby cradle shows that you care about the occasion you were invited to or that is going on, and you are offering the new mother a homemade gift showing a personal touch which often means more than a store bought gift.
- A way to use your favorite hobby – rather than walking around a crowded store trying to find a perfect gift for a specific occasion, you can do something you enjoy for a good and worthy cause, which will bring you a sense of joy while doing something you love!
- A learning opportunity – if you are a beginner who has previously only done garter stitch patterns, this is an opportunity to branch out and learn something new since this pattern includes both the knit and purl stitches.
Pattern Attributes of this Knitting Pattern
This article will be very easy to do, because not only are the instructions written out in detail, but there are also many pictures that show how to knit this baby stroller or baby cradle step by step. These images should show you how the dishcloth will look as you knit it up into completion. The following table will explain the pattern attributes for this dishcloth.
Knitting Pattern Baby Stroller Dishcloth Attributes
Detailed instructions with step by step pictures
A list of abbreviations used in this pattern
The proper supplies to use for this knitting pattern
Tips for knitting a dishcloth (Part 2)
Alternative instructions or ideas for this knitting pattern (Part 2)
Why Knit a Baby Stroller Dishcloth?
Since the subject of this dishcloth is a baby stroller, there are many reasons to knit this particular free pattern. If you have a baby shower to attend coming up, this would make the perfect gift. You could even knit multiple dishcloths in different baby colors, tie them together with a lacy bow, and offer them as a cute baby washcloth set!
With a smaller weight yarn or a baby type yarn, you could make some adjustments to the pattern, like using smaller knitting needles, and this would make this particular dishcloth even more useful for a new mother as she could use it as a baby washcloth.
Some of the other characteristics of this free knitting project are:
The Free Knitting Pattern for a Baby Cradle Dishcloth
Supplies for this Knitting Project: A Free Knitting Pattern of a Baby Cradle
- Yarn: (1) Worsted weight is recommended due to the ease of using it, (2) Pastel colors such as pink for a girl and blue for a boy make the pattern show up nicely, and (3) The brand Red Heart carries a great line of worsted weight yarn skeins with a wide variety of colors, and this brand is quite affordable compared to many others.
- Knitting Needles: (1) Metal is what I recommend as I find it smooth and fast to work with, plus I love the clanking noise the needles make as I knit, (2) I prefer 10” as that perfectly fits the project and is a great size for your hands, and (3) Size US 7 or 4.5 mm knitting needles is the best size for this knitting pattern.
- Knitting Accessories: (1) Point protectors, (2) Stitch markers or place markers, (3) A row counter, and (4) A knitting tote to carry the project [Note that all of these knitting supplies may be needed, but they may make knitting this pattern easier]
How often do you knit?
Knitting Abbreviations You May Need to Know for this Project
K = Knit
P = Purl
CO = Cast On
BO = Bind Off
Measurements of the Free Knitting Dishcloth:
9” X 8”
Step by Step Instructions on How to Knit the Baby Stroller
Begin by tying your slip knot.
Cast on 36 stitches
Cut off the end after you cast on the stitches, and begin knitting.
Create the border by knitting 4 rows.
Begin the stockinette section of the pattern.
Row 1-4, and all even rows: *K*
Row 5: K3, *P*, K3
Begin knitting the free knitting pattern for the baby stroller.
Row 7: K3, P4, K2, P14, K2, P9, K3
Row 9: K3, P4, K1, P14, K4, P7, K3
Row 11: K3, P4, K1, P14, K6, P5, K3
Row 13: K3, P4, K1, P14, K8, P3, K3
Row 15: K3, P4, K1, P14, K9, P2, K3
Row 17: K3, P4, K1, P14, K9, P2, K3
Row 19: K3, P4, K1, P14, K9, P2, K3
Row 21: K3, P2, K26, P2, K3
Row 23: K3, P4, K24, P2, K3
Row 25: K3, P4, K23, P3, K3
Row 27 and 29: K3, P5, K22, P3, K3
Row 31: K3, P6, K20, P4, K3
Row 33: K3, P6, K19, P5, K3
Row 35: K3, P7, K17, P6, K3
Rows 37 and 41: K3, P10, K3, P5, K3, P9, K3
Row 39: K3, P9, K5, P3, K5, P8, K3
Row 43: K3, P9, K5, P3, K5, P8, K3
Rows 45 and 47: K3, *P*, K3
Rows 48-51: *K*
Finish knitting properly so that you can cut off ends and weave in.
Cut the ends before weaving them into the project for a neat look.
Weave in ends.
This free knitting pattern offers the perfect homemade gift for a new mother. This article has provided a free dishcloth pattern. This pattern only uses the knitting basics. Anyone can do it! Everything is provided in this article! You can make this beautiful dishcloth in less than a day – today!
Please enjoy these additional free knitting resources in order to further your knitting skills and learn more!
My Knitting Blog
- Knitting Website for Beginners
Simple knitting blog for beginners who want to learn how to knit. Master knitting basics with free knitting patterns and ideas. These patterns focus on only the stitches of Knit and Purl, so that any new knitter can complete them with pride and ease!
My Ravelry Profile
- Ravelry - a knit and crochet community
My Ravelry profile has my original knitting designs. This includes coasters, scarves, and more. This is a great community to join and participate in, and it's free! It's easy to find a knitting or crocheting pattern that meets your wants and needs.
3 Easy Knit and Purl Knit Starter Coasters
Free Knitting Patterns for Easy Coasters for Beginners
- Free Coaster Patterns: 3 Easy Knit & Purl Starter Coasters - Pt 1
The free knitting patterns in this article are perfect knitting ideas for a beginner who is just now learning how to knit. These coaster patterns are quick and easy - perfect holiday, handmade gifts.
- Free Coaster Patterns: 3 Easy Knit & Purl Starter Coasters - Pt 2
The free knitting patterns in this hub are perfect for beginners. The coaster patterns are easy and perfect for holiday, handmade gifts. Part 2 will continue with coaster tips and how to knit lessons.
Hobby Lobby Headquarters
This is one of the best craft stores for knitters and/or crocheters with weekly sales. They have a large variety of yarn, needles, and accessories.
Michael's Craft Store Headquarters
Another fun craft store for needlework lovers! It's full of different kinds of yarn, knitting needles, crochet hooks, and more - Perfect for knitters!
The images in this article were created and published by Michele Kelsey (theflirtyknitter).
Please feel free to ask a direct question about any of the information provided in this article or any questions you may have about the free knitting patterns provided above.
Please leave me a comment if you found this article to be:
I would love for you to rate it, share it, leave a comment, and/or follow me!
Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoyed these free knitting patterns for beginners!
Michele Kelsey (theflirtyknitter)