- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Make Art with Peeps
Peeps Are Born In Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Peeps are born each year in Bethlehem.
- Bethlehem, Pennsylvania that is.
- Just Born Inc., is a factory in PA that makes1 billion Peeps a year.
- That is 4 million Peeps a day.
- The production of Peeps in one year can circle the globe twice.
- Peeps were first created in 1953.
- Peeps were once sculpted by hand from pastry tubes.
- It took 27 hours to make just one marshmallow peep.
- The eyes were painted on by hand.
- Today it takes 6 minutes to make one marshmallow peep.
- During Easter Peeps outsell Jellybeans.
- Just Born also manufactures; Mike and Ike, Hot Tamales and ice cream toppings.
- Peeps are an icon
- Peeps are just not for Easter.
- There are pumpkin shaped Peeps for Halloween.
- There are snowman shaped Peeps for Christmas.
- Emory University scientifically studied Peeps indestructibility.
- There are national diorama Peeps contests each year.
CNN Peeps Breaking News
What To Do With Marshmallow Peeps
- Eat 'em
- Smash 'em
- Stretch 'em
- Microwave 'em
- Fondue 'em
- Deep Fry 'em
- Make 'em into art
- Find ways to destroy 'em
Peeps Have Been Scientifically Studied
These spongy-sweet marshmallow treats have been scientifically studied at a universities and homes around the world to test their indestructibility.
Peeps are candy, and the primary ingredient of candy is sugar. It would then be easily hypothesize Peeps will dissolve in water and other liquid solutions. However, Peeps have additional ingredients that make them peculiarly indissoluble.
(Reader discretion is advised for those who are emotionally attached to Peeps. Harmful elements have been tested on Peeps.)
At Emory University in Atlanta, GA, a group of scientists used boiling hot water, cigarettes and other tests determine how these candies will endure. The outcome proved that Peeps are resilient, and made from indissoluble substance. Chemicals such as acetone, sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide could not destroy Peeps.
Results indicated that there was little to no dissolve from the Peeps. Peeps are not soluble in water, acetone, sulfuric acid or sodium hydroxide.
Peeps Smoke Signals
What Is A Diorama?
A diorama is a three-dimensional scale replica of a scene. Diorama's are usually created by hobbyists and children. Remember making a project out of a shoe box in elementary school? That was a diorama.
The purpose for diorama's is for edcutation and entertainment.
The Etymology of Diorama
Diorama is a Greek word.
rama- that which is seen, a sight
Annual Peeps Marshmallow Contest
In 2004, The St. Paul Pioneer Press put a call out to artist and hobbyist to submit to the first Marshmallow Peeps Diorama Contests. Although worried no one would get the concept, they received over 40 entries. In the coming years, the diorama entries grew to the hundreds. Since then, Peeps diorama contests have received nationwide attention from additional editorials like the Washington Post, Seattle Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Denver Post.
Peeps art continues to inspire people around the country. Newspapers, city councils, art museums, universities, all have put a call out to artists to make spongy colorful art.
Even the American Bar Association Journal sought for court, law or justice inspired Peeps creations.
Just Born Inc., the manufacture of Peeps has a website page listing competitive Peeps diorama contests around the nation. Themes for Peeps Dioramas have ranged from biblical stories to pirates.
Peeps diorama masterpieces themes have also included:
- Presidential election
- The movie Up
- The book Goodnight Moon
- American Idol
- The constitution or 'We the PEEPole"
Peeps DioramaClick thumbnail to view full-size
What do you like to do with your Peeps?
What is your favorite colored Peeps?
How To Make a Peeps Diorama
- Shoe box
- Paint brushes
- Colored Paper
- Anything in your home to help make your diorama
- Come up with an idea
- Paint your shoe box
- Add elements to create your theme
- Add your peeps
- Take pictures
- Submit your art to a Peeps contest
When you see Peeps do you experience the feeling of happiness?
Carly Sullens 2013. All Rights Reserved.