Crafts With Old Silverware and Flatware: Windchimes and More
What can you make with old silverware and flatware?
Just a Few Ideas
If you enjoy making crafts with recycled materials, you may enjoy tutorials for projects with old silverware and flatware. With ideas ranging from wind chimes to lighting to shadowboxes, there is something here for everyone. Many of these project are too involved for kids to complete on their own but can make great family projects. Happy crafting!
Where can you find old silverware and flatware?
Many people choose to craft with old silverware because they already have it on hand at home. However, if you're interested in tracking down cheap, attractive pieces, consider the following options.
- Thrift stores, secondhand stores, and garage sales. You can pick up old sets of flatware for next to nothing at many thrift and secondhand stores as well as garage sales. The selection can be hit or miss, but if you visit these locations on a regular basis, it's worth keeping your eyes open. If you're looking for higher end vintage pieces, consider hitting estate sales.
- eBay. There are lots of listings on eBay at any given time for vintage silverware lots. The starting bids can vary significantly depending on quality and quantity.
- Craigslist and freecycle. One of the drawbacks to purchasing weightier items such as silverware online is the shipping costs that come with them. Explore local options on Craigslist and freecycle to avoid these costs.
- Family and friends. You never know who has a huge lot of old unwanted flatware or even a couple cool pieces that are perfect for a smaller project. Put the word out to people you see on a regular basis.
Tip: Mix up your craft project by spray painting your silverware before you craft with it.
Do It, Gurl : Make An Upcycled Wind Chime
Wind chimes are the most popular project that people make with silverware. The concept of a silverware wind chime is very whimsical. There are numerous options for wind chime components. Many people choose to include additional kitchen items, such as butter dishes, teapots, and small bowls. Regardless of the items used, it is important to choose a single strong item that can anchor the hanging silverware pieces. The anchor can be a fork with the tines bent or a larger piece.
Make A Hanging Spoon Rack
You will get an endless stream of compliments about a hook set that has silverware pieces instead of traditional hooks. If you're planning to make your own set of hooks, silverware is a fun, inexpensive option. Forks and spoons both work well as hooks. Consider using hooks for coats and other outerwear, notes/messages (for fork hooks), and kitchen utensils. Some people also use their silverware hooks as planter hangers.
Most of the silverware craft tutorials out there are for décor pieces, but you can also find tutorials for wearable art. Most people turn single forks and spoons into cuff bracelets or fashion spoon heads into pendants. Of course you don't need to feel limited to these ideas. You can stamp, cut, and/or paint your silverware to give it additional visual elements. Some people also add charms and other jewelry components. Finish your piece off with the clasp of your choosing.
Jewelry Making With Household Items : How to Make Jewelry From Silverware
Putting old silverware in a shadowbox is such a unique idea. It makes a wonderful piece of décor for a kitchen or for a room in any house that has a vintage décor theme. There are numerous ways to customize a piece with different frames, backdrops, and additional components. Are you interested in displaying one of a kind heirloom silverware pieces? This is a great option.
How to make light fixtures - Eclectic Revival - 'Made in Toronto'
There are tons of stunning images online of silverware chandeliers and other light fixtures. The first link in the list below includes a tutorial for this type of lighting. There is also a tutorial below for a simple tea light wall fixture.
- Stamped Spoon Handles
- Whiteley Creek Homestead Bed and Breakfast Brainerd Minnesota: kitchen cabinet door hardware
- Spring Craft Ideas : Easy Spring Crafts and Projects - Country Living
- Hand-Stamped Plant Markers
- Brooklyn Limestone: Chic on the Cheap: Vintage Fork Napkin Rings
- Recycled Craft Ideas - Mason Jar and Recycled Crafts - Country Living : Candle Holders
- Sugar & Spice in the land of Balls & Sticks: Sunburst Silverware Clock
Other Home Décor and Functional Ideas
There are a number of other very creative ideas out there for using old silverware around the house including:
- Drawer and cabinet pulls and handles.
- Garden markers.
- Curtain tiebacks.
- Napkin rings.
- Candle holders.
- Re-purposed clock.
Are you looking for more recycled material craft project ideas? Check this out!
- Baby Food Jars: Crafts, Ideas, and Projects
This article is about baby food jar crafts, ideas, and projects. It includes everything from simple storage solutions to more involved craft projects. These projects are ideal for kids, gifts, parties, showers, weddings, and more.
- Uses for Wine Corks: Crafts, Home Décor Projects, Garden Ideas, and More
This article is about uses for wine corks. It includes a wide variety of photos, tutorials, and other resources for crafts, home décor projects, garden ideas, and much more. There is something here for everyone.
- Recycled Old T-Shirt Craft Ideas: Clothing and Accessory Projects
Do you have old t-shirts lying around at home? Recycle them into clothing and accessories with these craft projects and ideas.