- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Make Your Own Flower Pens and Girly Pens
Items Needed to Begin
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need:
- hot glue gun
- hot glue sticks
- ribbon(s) you will use to go around the pen shafts (I like to use ribbed ribbons. They are more durable and the hot glue does not show through like it does with satin ribbons.)
- pens or pencils (I used a package of Bic pens--the kind that has a removable plastic piece on the top end. Papermate pens also work nicely. You'll find out why later....)
- fake flowers of your choice
- fuzzy yarns
- wire cutters
Let's start with making a flower pen.
- Begin, by plugging in your glue gun. And preparing your work space. If I'm not working at my craft table, I spread out a paper bag to make my work surface. Hot glue is stringy and messy so you want to make sure you are protecting your furniture.
- While your glue gun is heating up, get one of your pens and take out the little blue stopper, if you will, from the top of the pen. This opens up the pen shaft so that we can hide the flower's stem there. (You may use a pencil or a different kind of pen, too. Just glue the flower stem down the side of your pen/pencil. I just like the end result of being able to hide the flower stems down inside Bic pens.)
- Next, you want to take your wire cutter and cut your flower stem, leaving a 4-inch stem. Go ahead and put the stem down into the pen shaft. At the base of the flower, where the flower and pen shaft meet, glue the flower in place.
- Get your ribbon out and cut your ribbon almost as long as your pen, leaving about 1/4 of an inch of the pen showing (as shown in photo).
- Next, take your glue gun and add a strip of glue long-ways, down the pen shaft and quickly place one edge of the ribbon on top of your glue strip. That will dry quickly, as you press the ribbon into the glue. Wrap the ribbon around the pen shaft and repeat gluing the other edge of the ribbon in place.
- Now, get creative with what more you would like to do with your girly flower pen. You may stop now or add anything else you may come up with. In the above photo, I added black and silver fuzzy yarn I bought at Hobby Lobby.
- I started by adding hot glue just under my flower where the pen and flower meet, and made about a 2-inch line of glue. Then, I placed the end of my fuzzy yarn where the pen and flower meet and began wrapping the fuzzy yarn around and around my pen. Once I reached the end of my glue line, I stopped wrapping and cut the ribbon. And voila! I was finished with my first girly pen!
Now, we'll look at some of the FUZZY PENS.
The rest of the pens are made similarly, with fuzzy materials replacing the red rose.
This one is made from one 6-inch piece of black fuzzy craft trim. I hot glued each end to the top of the pen, making one loop of the trim. Then, I added some fuzzy yarn from the end of the pen, and down about 2 inches--just like I did with the flower pen.
For the remaining pens, I used different fuzzy yarns to replace the flower.
- For each pen, I wrapped the yarn loosely around my four fingers over and over until I had enough to make a nice, fuzzy ball.
- I carefully removed the yarn from my hand, and tied a piece of string (or more fuzzy yarn) around the middle (like I do when making a curly ribbon bow).
- And just like making a curly ribbon bow, I then snipped each loop to make free strands.
- Then, on some of the pens I added more fuzzy yarn to the pen shafts. There's no wrong way to do it. :)
Make Your Own Wall Hangings For Your Child's or Teen's Bedroom
- You Don't Have to Be An Artist To Make Your Own Wall Art
You don't have to be an artist to make interesting art! Here's one of my latest projects that ANYONE can do. My daughter already had a brightly colored, striped bedspread, so I used some of those colors...
Fund Raisers, gifts, bridal guest books, Mother's Day, birthdays, Easter, Christmas, Get Well Soon...uses for decorative pens are endless!
Variations of materials and colors to use are endless, too!
This is just one group of pens I made with a black, red, and white pallet. This set, I sold as part of a fund raising project for my daughter. I made another set using my daughter's school colors and donated the pens to another school fund raising event.
Make zebra pens, make gift pens to gift to your friends and family, add craft beads to your pens, make enough pens to sell them online! Add your own creative energy, with your own personal touch, and make your own beautiful pens to share and enjoy with those around you.
More Girly Flower Pens
- How to Make Your Own Flower Pens and Girly Pens 2
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need: * hot glue gun * hot glue sticks * ribbon(s) you will use to go around the pen shafts * pens (the kind that has a removable...
Craft Ideas - Make Your Own Headbands
- Make Your Own Headbands and Hair Accessories - 2
Yesterday, I had to break free from the hum-drum of life and do something creative. Those of you who are artisic too, know exactly what I mean. The need to create (and it is a NEED) begins to tap the...
Easy Headbands to Make For Your Daughter or Teen Daughter
- Make Your Own Fashion Headbands For Girls and Teens
My 11-year-old daughter and I recently had a Mommy/Daughter Day. We had so much fun together shopping for some summer clothes and walking downtown. During our shopping time, I was hit with a burst of creative...
Hand Made Feather Accessories
- Fashion Feather Headbands for Girls and Teens - Fushia and Purple - Blue and Green
I've recently made two headbands in this style and immediately sold them both. Items you will need: feathers from your local craft store floral wire hot glue material scraps to match your feathers ...
- HAIR ACCESSORIES - How to Make Your Own Feather Hair Clip
scissors hot glue gun hot glue sticks hair clip inexpensive jewel or gem large purple feathers with fanned-out tips medium blue feathers (mine have green tips) small blue, polka-dotted feathers ...
- Ideas to Make Your Own Feather Earrings
Feathers are all the rage right now in fashion and design. From feather earrings, to feather necklaces, to feather headbands and feather hair clips, to clothing designs using birds, feathers, and...
Handmade Baby Hair Accessories
- How to Make Baby Headbands and Girls or Teens Hair Clips With A Knifty Knitter Flower Loom
So, I've just now discovered a neat line of knitting looms by a company called "Knifty Knitter." I haven't knitted since I was in 7th grade when my mom and I took up knitting dish cloths. It didn't last...
- How to Make Your Own Baby Headbands With Large Flowers
In my first baby headband article I showed how to make baby headbands with small flowers. In this article I will explain how to make headbands for the more adventurous baby who isn't afraid to wear large...
- How to Make Your Own Baby Headbands for Newborns
I've been requested by a photographer friend to make some baby headbands for her to use in her photo shoots. So, after seeing some modern baby portraits with oversized flowers on their headbands, I decided...