- Arts and Design
How to Make Your Own Wire Bookmark
Wire for Bookmarks
Create Your Own Bookmark
Making a wire bookmark is a fun and easy project. They will make a great gift along with a book, and you can personalize them them with color choices and unique charms. To find charms with a certain theme, try Michael's Craft Store, Benjamin Franklin's, or Hobby Lobby. These stores offer a wide variety of charms and beads.
There are several kinds of bookmarks that can be made with just a few simple materials. Metal bookmarks can be bought that only need a charm attached. Bookmarks can be made with ribbon, yarn, beads, and many other materials. The bookmark shown in this hub is made with a bendable wire. This is an easy material to work with. It can be bent around the binding of the book in which it is being used, which is a useful feature. Because it is larger than thread or the thin wire used for strinnging necklaces, bead size is something that needs to be considered. The hole within the bead must be large enough to accommodate the wire. This is something to keep in mind when purchasing beads for this project.
- How to String a Bead Necklace
Create your own neckace with these easy instructions and accompanying video. Make beautiful necklaces for friends and family members at a fraction of the cost of purchasing them.
- How to Make Funky Bead Earrings
Learn how to make 3 kinds of earring, using funky beads.
- How to Make Wire Bracelets
Wire jewelry making is a fun and rewarding experience. Learn how to make beautiful wire bracelets with these easy-to-follow instructions.
- Buying Jewelry Components for Jewelry Making
If you are a beader, enjoy jewelry making, and need to purchase jewelry components in bulk, this article will tell you all about the best place to do this and why.
Materials You Will Need to Create Your Own Bookmark
You will only need four things to make your own wire bookmark. They are as follows:
- wire: The wire should be strong and durable, so that it will last for a while. You can pick this wire up at any craft store, or order it online.
- pliers: Jewelry pliers are the easiest to use, however any pair of pliers will work. You need to be able to grip the wire, and bend it. Cone-shaped pliers will allow you to easily make round shapes if you choose.
- beads: Any type of bead is fine for this project, as long as the wire will fit through them. A charm can also be attached to the top or bottom of the bookmark as well.
- wire cutters: This tool is specifically for wire jewelry and makes a clean cut. Scissors can be used, but they will dull and the cut may not be satisfactory.
Tip: This is a great project for repurposing broken jewelry and missing earring partners. Use the beads from broken necklaces or bracelets, and use the earring for the charm. See my bookmark example below for directions on how to make your own wire bookmark.
Beads for Bookmark
Steps to Create Your Own Wired Bookmark
Step 1: Decide how long you want your bookmark to be. Cut a piece of wire 1 inch longer than the length you have chosen. You will need a half inch on both ends of the wire for curling to hold the beads in place.
Step 2: Curl one end of the bookmark. If attaching a charm, place it on the wire before closing it. Charms can be placed on both ends of the wire if desired.
Step 3: String your beads onto your wire, covering the length of it. Push them tightly together. A random pattern can be created, silver or gold accent beads can be used, or a specific pattern can be created. Choose beads that will fit onto the wire easily and will fit nicely within the pages of a book.
Step 4: Curl the remaining end of your wire. If attaching a charm, place it on the wire before closing it. Make sure the beads are not loose.