- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Make a Hemp Choker using Switch Knots
Hemp jewelry can be made more feminine by the use of lacy knots in your pattern. Variations of traditional knots, like the square knot can produce some dramatic results. The choker pattern featured uses a switch knot to create a lacy pattern of alternating colours. The addition of a pendant creates a dazzling piece of jewelry.
Hemp Choker with Pendant
Materials for the Hemp Choker
- 90 inches of blue hemp cord
- 90 inches of green hemp cord
- paper clip
- clip board
- stationary clip
- large hole bead
Pictoral Instructions for the Square Knot (SK)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Making a Square Knot
- First begin a right half-knot by passing the far right (blue) cord under the two filler chords (middle beige anchored chords).
- Pass the blue cord over the left red cord.
- Pass the red cord over the middle beige cords and then through the blue loop.
- Gently pull the knot tight.
- Begin making a left half-knot by taking the left cord which is again blue and passing it under the beige filler cords.
- Pass the left blue cord over the right red cord. Pass the red cord over the beige filler cords and through the blue loop.
- Gently pull the left half-knot against the right half-knot. You now half one square knot.
Pictoral Instructions for the Switch Knot (SW)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Making Switch Knots
- To make the first switch knot, begin by spreading the inner beige filler cords. Pull the outer red and blue cords down in between the beige cords. They become the filler cords.
- Make a right half-knot and pull gently.
- Use your thumb to mark out a thumb's space and pull right half knot to that point.
- Make a left half knot and pull gently to meet right half knot to create a square knot.
- Create one more square knot before beginning the next switch knot.
- To make the next switch knot, begin by spreading the inner red/blue filler cords. Pull down the beige cords. They become the filler cords.
- Repeat steps 2-5.
Making the Hemp Choker with Switch knots and Square knotsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Making a Hemp Choker
- Using two 90 inch hemp cords, one of blue and one of green, fold the green in half and place this folded loop overtop the center of the blue cord.
- Use a paper clip to keep the blue cord from shifting so it stays centered.
- For your closure you will create two square knots which will serve as a slip knot closure.
- A slip knot closure consists of two square knots. Test the slip knot by holding onto the loop and gently sliding the blue square knots up and down to alter the size of the loop.
- Anchor the two filler cords to a clip board using a stationary clip.
- Follow the instructions for making a switch knot.
- Reverse the filler cords following the switch knot instructions. Create switch knots followed by two square knots until you reach a length of 71/2 inches.
- Gather an outside knotting cord and the adjacent filler cord, and thread a pendant to meet the last two square knots.
- Continue with the pattern of switch knots and square knots for another 71/2 inches.
- Make an overhand knot gently pulling until it meets the last two square knots. Pull tightly.
- Wrap tape around the ends of all four strands of cord and pass through a large hole round bead.
- Make an overhand knot gently pulling until it is close to the bead. Secure tightly.
- The slip knot can be adjusted to fit over the bead and then pulled tightly against the bead for secure closure of the choker.