- Arts and Design»
How to use Instagram's new slideshow feature (TUTORIAL)
Instagram has a new slideshow feature
In case you've been living under a rock, Instagram has a new slideshow feature. You can now have up to 10 photos on one post. This is perfect for those not wanting to post multiple images in a day. Just make sure your Instagram is up to date in order to use this function.
Follow these easy steps - pictures included- to publish your first slideshow.
How to use Instagram's new slideshow feature and post 10 photos
Using the new slideshow feature is easy. Follow these steps to set it up. Pictures to follow:
1) Go to Instagram and click on the + icon as normal to add a photo to your account.
2) When the screen comes on, select the icon that looks like a square with another line on the bottom.
3) Choose up to 10 photos, then click next as normal.
4) If you are into filters, you can apply filters to each individual image if you so choose by selecting the filter as normal. This will automatically apply the filter to each image. At this time you can't apply individual filters to the photos.
5) Add your caption, Tags, location, etc. like normal, then hit share.
6) Your photo series will have small dots under the post indicating for the user to swipe left. On your home screen you will also see that same icon with the square and line underneath indicating it has multiple images.
7) Post away.
Below are some photos for those who like visuals.
Step 1) Go to Instagram and click on the + icon as normal to add a photo to your account.
Step 2) Select the icon that looks like a square with another line on the bottom. 3) Choose up to 10 photos, then click next as normal.
Step 4) If you are into filters, you can apply filters to each individual image if you so choose by selecting the filter as normal. This will automatically app
An example of what the post will look like. Notice the dots under the image, indicating to the user to swipe right to scroll.
An example of what the post will look like on your feed. The square indicates a slideshow.
Photographers Take Note
The new slideshow feature will only work with horizontal images. Portrait images will need to be cropped and can result in loss of quality. I recommend only using horizontal images unless your portrait image is cropped accordingly. Square images work just fine as well. Square is the native size for Instagram and it always favors square images.
Instagram is best displayed at 1080x1080 resolution.
Hopefully soon they will add the ability to use both horizontal and vertical images.
Side note - when you share the Instagram post to Facebook it will post the individual images in the post and not have the slideshow effect.
Tips to get people to swipe to see your slideshow
Tips to get people to swipe to see your slideshow:
- Put your best image first.
- Make sure to indicate in your caption that you are using the new feature and encourage people to swipe to see more.
- If you have a text editor like PicMonkey or Photoshop - you can even add a little text at the bottom of your first image to indicate its a slideshow.
- Use emoji's to make your text stand out - for example - using arrows, or using the numbered emoji's.
- Post a slideshow once a week so people can expect to see that from your feed.
- Be creative; only show half an image and get people to swipe to see the other half.
Ways to use Instagram Slideshow Feature
Here's a list of ideas to creatively use Instagram Slideshow.
For Pro Photographers:
- A Before and After series of edited vs unedited pictures.
- To showcase multiple images in a series.
- Show off your studio space.
- Showcase any products you sell.
- Show a behind the scenes of your photo session.
- Show off multiple images from a party or event.
- Show off a project you completed, such as yardwork, new feature in your home,etc
- Show off full size images instead of a collage.
- Show off a series of drawings your kids painted for you.
The possibilities are endless. Just be creative.
Any more ideas? Feel free to leave them in the comments.