- Arts and Design
How to Use Paint Shop Pro to Make Coloring Book Pages With Photos
Coloring Page From a Photo
Make a Coloring Page From a Photo
It's easy to use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 to make a coloring page from a digital photo! You can make one coloring page or enough to create your own personalized coloring book. Custom coloring books make great gifts for special kids or even for adults who occasionally feel the urge to color and be creative. To make your own coloring pages, here are the simple steps to follow:
Select Clear Digital Photos
Open Photo In Paint Shop Pro
Step 1: Select Clear Digital Photos
For best results, select photos where the subject is well-focused in the foreground, and the background is plain. Too much information in the background can cause a messy-looking coloring page, but feel free to experiment. Be aware that the software will look for edges when creating the coloring page, so a photo that is very dark all over may not render very well, like night shots. Well-lit photos with good contrast work best.
Once you've selected a starting photo to use, open it in the Corel Paint Shop Pro application.
Digital Camera Noise Filter
Step 2: Select Digital Camera Noise Removal Menu Option
If your photo is grainy, or has lots of noise, you can smooth it out by using the Digital Camera Noise Removal filter. I've found that this step is rarely needed to make coloring pages, provided that you use good, clear photos to begin with, but if you need to remove noise, follow this step. Otherwise, proceed to Step 3.
Select the Adjust > Digital Camera Noise Removal option, which will bring up the Digital Camera Noise Removal dialog box.
In this dialog box, select the Remove Noise tab.Within this tab, enter the following values:
- Noise Correction Small: 100
- Noise Correction Medium: 100
- Noise Correction Large: 100
- Correction Blend: 70
- Sharpening: 0
- Check the box next to Link Detail Sizes.
Select OK to execute the filter.
Step 3: Find Edges in Photo
Select the menu option Edge Effects > Find All
This will result in filtering out most of the photo, except for edges. Note that the picture that results may have very light or faint lines. At this point, you can either save this result, or you can take the additional step to darken the lines.
Step 4: Enhance Lines
Enhance the lines to your preference by using the following method:
Select the menu option Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Levels
This brings up the Levels Dialog box.
In the Levels Dialog Box, select RGB from the Channels drop-down menu.
Adjust the black, grey and white values by doing the following:
- Make the white pixels whiter by sliding the white diamond slider to the right.
- Make the black pixels darker by sliding the black diamond slider to the right.
- Adjust grey pixels by moving the gray diamond slider to the right (lighter) or left (darker.)
Note that the values of the pixels will display in the boxes below the diamond slider.
Coloring Pages Created with Corel Paint Shop Pro
- Adding text is a nice option for a custom touch. It's also a way to get an educational edge into a fun activity. In Paint Shop Pro, select the Text tool. Select Font > Highlight LET , which is a good option for a letter style that can be colored in. Feel free to experiment with different fonts and font sizes.
- Try printing coloring pages onto different paper types. Drawing paper cut to 8.5" x 11" size so that it fits into a standard printer try makes an interesting choice, or try pastel or charcoal paper with a rough surface.
- Children's book authors - try making a coloring page from one of your book illustrations! It's a fun craft activity for school visits.
- Make a coloring collage by piecing several coloring page images together and printing them on a single large format paper. This makes a terrific rainy-day activity, and two children can color one large page at the same time.
Experiment with the different creative possibilities that coloring pages offer!