How to make a "Bird with a Speech Bubble" Cricut Homemade Birthday Card
Bright blue cardstock, for the base card and the bright multi-colored cardstock for the background combine to make a cheerful, eye-pleasing background for the sweet singing bird. The musical notes on the cardstock background gave me the idea to make this card with a musical theme.
This homemade birthday card features a cute bird singing out the phrase "Happy Birthday dear you!" in a speech bubble. I chose the colors for the bird shape based on the background behind him.
Some of the special touches on this card were created using paper punches. My favorites come from Stampin'Up! because of the accurate, clean punched shapes they create. The Lacy Border punch is versatile and a pretty addition to any of my homemade greeting cards. I also have a corner punch which softens the corners of cardstock or photos used for scrapbooking or card making.
Singing Bird Happy Birthday Card
Materials and Supplies
- Cricut Personal Cutting Machine
- Cricut Machine Cartridge: 3 Birds on Parade
- Heavyweight Cardstock
- Border Punch: I use the Large Lacy Border Punch from Stampin'Up!
- Corner Punch
- Acrylic Stamp: I use a birthday collection from Stampin'Up!
Base Card and Background
1. Cut a heavyweight piece of cardstock to measure 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" then fold it in half. A Cricut folding tool works great to make the fold.
Cut two pieces of multi-colored piece of cardstock: one measuring 5 1/4" x 4" and the other measuring 5" x 3 3/4".
2. Adhere the cardstock backgrounds to the base card.
3. Cut one <sing>, page 67, measuring 3 1/2" using the Shadow and base keyboard key. This cuts out the bottom large bird shape along with the bottom layer of the speech bubble.
4. Cut one <sing>, page 67, measuring 3 1/2" using the base keyboard key. This cuts out the bird's body which peeks out through other layers along with the top layer of the speech bubble.
5. Cut one <sing-s>, page 67, measuring 3 1/2" using the Shift and base keyboard key. This cuts out the bird's body top layer. The top layer covering the first two layers.
6. Cut one <sing>, page 67, measuring 3 1/2" using the Layer 1 and base keyboard key. This cuts out the two wing shapes.
7. Cut one <sing-s>, page 67, measuring 3 1/2" using the Layer 2, Shift and base keyboard key. This cuts out the tiny red "charm" hanging from the bird's necklace.
8. Adhere the bird layers together as shown. As you can see, the lighter blue body shapes are adhered in place to form a necklace.
Extra Speech Bubble
9. Cut one more <sing>, page 67, measuring 4" using the base keyboard key. This will start to cut the speech bubble and bird's body. Stop your Cricut machine when the speech bubble is completed. This will be used for an additional speech bubble layer, offset behind the other two.
10. Using the smallest speech bubble, carefully stamp your birthday phrase with the pointed section facing down on the right.
11. Punch a piece of cardstock using the lacy border punch then trim it to measure 4". Lay the finished piece on the bottom of your card, DON'T adhere it yet.
12. Adhere your finished singing bird so the feet tuck just under the top of where the lacy border will be. Adhere the border in place now.
13. Adhere the top two speech bubble layers together, centering the smallest. Adhere the larger extra speech bubble to the top right of the card so that it is near the bird's open mouth.