- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Thanksgiving Craft for Kids- How to fold a stylish DIY turkey out of cocktail napkins
Easy and Free Thanksgiving Craft
This is a craft I remember doing as a child for fun. Now, it is a cool way to decorate for free around the holidays and a great way to use up left over cocktail napkins. Turkeys are traditionally for Thanksgiving décor, but who says you can't have fun with turkeys all year round?
Materials Needed for Napkin Turkey
- Scrap paper
- Pen or Marker
Step 1: Arrange Napkins
- If you are using several of the same napkins or just napkins that are a similar size, trim the napkins a little before you unfold them so that you will have napkins of varying sizes.
- Having different sizes and colors will help the turkey to have more style and flair when he is completed.
Step 2: Fold Napkins
- Make a 1" accordion fold with each napkin. To do this, fold the napkin towards you in a 1" fold and then fold away from you in a 1" fold. Repeat this until you run out of napkin.
- Fold each napkin completely with the 1" accordion fold.
- When all of the napkins are folded, stack them on top of each other with the smallest napkin on top, followed by the next smallest napkin, and so on, until you reach the largest napkin, which should be at the bottom of the stack.
- Try to line up the folds as best you can, so that you will be able to pinch them together. Don't worry, they don't need to be perfect.
Step 3: Gather and Tape Napkins
- Pinch the napkins in the center of the stack and wrap tape all the way around the center so that you are left with a bow-tie shape.
- Pull the top edges of the largest napkins together and tape them together along the top so that the napkins are now in the shape of a fan.
Step 4: Fluff the Feathers
- Separate the napkins and fluff them out to make a more 3-D turkey shape.
- Keep the bottom edge relatively flat so that the turkey can stand up on a table.
Step 5: Draw a turkey face
- Draw a turkey head on the scrap paper. You could also print a turkey head if easier.
- Cut the head to size.
- Tape the turkey head to his body.
All Done... Gobble Gobble!