How to make Doormat at home from Old Clothes?
Door mat made using old bed sheet
Why I had gone for my own homemade door-mat?
It is raining so heavily and I see that I need more door mats to help me out. The washed door mats are not yet dried, as the sun is not seen even at 10 am in the morning. What will I do now? Yeah!!! this situation led me to think - "how about making one or two door mats of my own? "
The door mat came out very good, so I thought I will share my experiment with you people. Do comment on what you think about my experiment. Is it encouraging to you?
Making Door mat at home
In this hub I will show you, how to make or stitch a simple door mat for your own. All you need is some old clothes, a sewing machine and few minutes of yours. This was a holiday activity of mine.
I took a portion of my old bed sheet, which was teared, though in good condition. And for piping I took the left over cloth, after stitching a churidar. So lets start right?
- First, you need to decide on the cloth, which you need to make as a door mat.
- Take the cloth and fold it in such a way, till the same reaches the desired shape that you need your door mat to be.
- Later stitch the folded cloth along the border.
- Now start stitching in zig zag manner across the door mat , stitched through the border.
- This will help the cloth to be in position, while it is used or while washing the same.Now give piping to the door mat, along the border, using a different cloth , whose color contrast to that of the door mat.
preparing for the door matClick thumbnail to view full-size
Embroidery to improve your door mat
There are many ways to create a door mat and this is a simple one, which can be created by anybody having basic knowledge to stitch. I have an electric sewing machine with options of inbuilt embroideries.
If needed you may try to accommodate the embroidery while doing the piping!! Yeah,but there is no relevance in having embroidering the door mat, as we use it to avoid the dirt from our legs..
But then, you can use the embroidery for those door mats that we use by the side of our bed.
stitching the door matClick thumbnail to view full-size
Do you love making door mats of your own
Check My Hub - Princess Costume for My Kid
Things to note: homemade door-mats
Door-mats are very much needed for a home to be clean and tidy. I do have three entries to my home from outside. And during rainy season, it is so much messy as family members do come with mud filled shoes and chappals from outside. And if there are kids at your home, then the mess will double up for sure.
Usually I clean the door mats once in a month. So I make sure while buying the door mats, that it is easily washable and that it won't get useless after the wash. And this rainy season, I just washed my door mats and it seems that those are not getting dried and I was running short of door mats and It was so difficult for me to go out and buy the door mats as it was raining heavily. Yes rain is actually a boon, but at times I feel that it ends me with not allowing to do anything :)
Yeah and what I ended up is to make door mat of my own, I had many old cloths waiting in my wardrobe to be revamped ;) Make sure you choose clothes which are easier to stitch and easier to use and also easier to clean :)
I took a cotton bed sheet and that does take away dirt easily from the shoes. And it is easier to clean also. Since I have nothing to spend than few threads and time, I could make a number of door-mats, to stock it for future use and which saves my pocket too!!!
Simple homemade door mat of your own
Other ways to make door mats
- You may try stitching together more than one color clothes and then fold it to make the door mats to have colorful door mats.
- You may take a big cloth and then try stitching in another cloth in a triangular shape and stitch the whole door mat in that manner, so that the door mat will look embossed - a trendy design
- Take three colored cloths and tie/stitch at one end and start pleating the same as we do to our hair and now stitch it in a round manner to get a round shaped door mat. Make sure that you stitch the same tightly and closely.