How to teach yourself ukelele
Learn the uke
The ukelele is a little, four string instrument that is surprisingly versatile. It can sound bittersweet, nostalgic and languid or peppy and cheerful. It is refreshingly easy to play and makes a great first instrument for someone who might be a little daunted by learning guitar or another stringed instrument.
While I certainly recommend lessons (I take them at the local music store), it is possible to teach yourself if you are anxious to start right away.
If that's your route, here are some steps to get you on your way:
1. make sure you have a ukelele :)
2. if you have an iPhone, download the Guitartools app. It's $10.00 but it has everything you need.
3. start researching basic uke chords. You can find them on your new Guitartools app, or on music websites like e-chords.com. Practice these chords. Get to know them, memorize them, get comfortable.
4. Watch a tutorial. Watch some other ukelele videos on youtube for inspiration.
5. look up the uke tabs for a song you like and learn it.
6. rinse and repeat.
And, just so you know, you don't have to use a pick for the ukelele but if you choose to, get a velvet pick to keep the sound resonant and melodic.
Hope that helps you...