- Arts and Design»
- Graphic Art & Design
Investing In Infographic Design
If are not using visual content in your blog - then you really should be! 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text. Humans like to look at colour and visuals and often colour preferences can be a powerful influence on our consumer decisions.
When designing an infographic, it is important to take time, carefully crafting content which will attract your consumers. Whether you are investing in visual content or creating homemade visuals for you blog, find out everything you need to know about infographic design below.
Creating Visual Content
Infographics are visual representations of information otherwise known as “data viz”. Infographics look great online and in the simplest terms they are not too different from charts and graphs that Microsoft programs like Excel have been creating for years.
Of course a professionally designed infographics is a lot more creative and eye-catching than a basic pie chart, as they should tell your users a story. Just like every good story they should have a start, middle and end. Infographic designer, Create An Infographic believes that:
“Infographics and charts are growing in popularity as they enable the summary of complex data into a compact and engaging design that holds the attention of your audience.”
Once you have captured your audience is it important that you do not smother them with Information. Information overload can be distracting so try to break your points in to six sections, continuing to separate them into bullet point or charts.
Tips for Creating Infographics
- The number one rule of infographic design is that the title of any infographic should be eye-catching and interesting enough to grab the reader’s attention. Choose a font that will fit the theme or topic, making sure it does not distract the user from the point of the graphic.
- It is fairly easy to find software which will allow you to create your own infographics. However, making them look professional whilst diversifying your business can be tricky. As the majority of infographics are made for online, consider what colours stand out on screen.
- Think about what kind of colours complement your websites background or your company’s colour scheme. Things to avoid could be harsh, neon colours that can be offensive to users eyes, these colours could deter users from reading the information you really want to give to them and may cause them to scroll away from the infographic.
- If you are sharing your infographic on social media then think about the white back ground it will be displayed on and try to use a contrasting colour that will make sure your information sticks out,
- Do not over load your infographic with colour and try to stick to three colours that work really well together. Get the balance just right adding shades and tints of the colours you’re working with.
Learning how to design a good infographic is a must if you are going to be using them often on social media and avoiding this trend could mean that you may lose custom in the future. If you have a keen eye for design, then you are probably more than capable of creating something special on a design website like Canva, however hiring a profession infographic designer may give your business the edge.
The Future of Visual Marketing
Design trends may come and go, however, it is appearing that infographics are here to stay. Content creators and brands such as USA Today, The New York Times and Google are all designing infographics to get through to their consumers.
Infographics are proven to work as visual content because humans are attracted to their easy to read design which means there is less work for them. Visuals gain our attention and allow users to retain information easier and this is the reason why Infographics have such an effect on consumers.
If your infographics are both visually appealing packed with easy to follow information we are sure your users will love that you are creating cool content for them to share and enjoy!