Art Lessons For Kids - Create a Van Gogh Vase
Children's Van Gogh Masterpieces
Create Your Own Masterpiece
Vincent Van Gogh was a Dutch painter whose work was considered Post - Impressionist. He is known for his vivid colors and emotional impact. Some of his most famous works are of sunflowers. (See example photo below).
This lesson will explore how to make a vase with flowers using bright colors and texture.
This lesson will teach children how to: Recreate Shapes, Tear Paper, Cut Paper, Glue, Use Patterns, Create Highlights, Make Texture.
What You Will Need for Your Masterpiece
- Colored Background Paper
- Colored Paper for the Vase (We used Yellow)
- Green Paper for Stems
- Colored Tissue Paper for petals
- Colored Paper for Flower Center
- Colored Paper for the Table (We used Black or Dark Red)
- Small Beans/ Glitter/ Rice/ Beads/ Sequins
- White Chalk
Creating your Van Gogh Vase of Flowers
- Lay your background paper flat on a table
- Decide how much table you need in your picture, cut it out and set it on the paper (Don't glue yet!)
- Draw out your vase - small children may need help to make the vase large enough.
- Cut out your vase, but don't glue it yet.
- Cut out your stems using green paper.
- Assemble the table, vase and stems down as you would like them
- Glue them down in place
- Cut or tear the petals from multi-colored tissue (try to get Triangle shapes)
- Glue down the the tissue paper, you can leave the tips unglued to make them appear more three-dimensional
- Brush a thin layer of glue onto the circle shapes and sprinkle on the beans, rice, glitter, sequins or beads to create texture.
- Use white chalk to create a highlight on the vase