- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Recycled Water Bottle Fabric Vases: A Kids' Craft
An easy and fun 'earth friendly' craft for kids.
Earth Day Crafts for Kids
Ever wonder how you can reuse those water bottles that seem to consume landfills? Here is a fantastic craft for kids to do and save the environment at the same time! This is a perfect gift to give at Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or just as an Earth Day activity. This craft is perfect for elementary aged children. Younger children can certainly finish the project with some additional guidance from an adult. Make sure that you have plenty of water bottles on hand. Making the vases becomes contagious!
Materials Needed for Recycled Vases
- Cleaned and dried water bottles
- Fabric selection of your choice
- Beads, jewels, or any other adornment
- Tacky glue
- Flowers of course!
More Green Tips!
- Use the water bottle caps for the glue. Children can then dip their Q-tips in the cap and spread the glue along the material. It uses another part of the water bottle and keeps things just a little cleaner!
- There are many ways of choosing your fabric. You can find some that you have left over from other projects, look for seasonal material to fit your gift giving. For example red or hearts for Valentine’s Day or flower prints for Mother’s Day.
Attaching the Fabric to the Plastic Bottle
- Cut the material into 6.5 x 8.5 pieces.
- Place the tacky glue in container if the child is too young to squeeze the glue bottle. Tacky glue is very thick and it takes some strength to get it out of the bottle. Use the Q-tips to apply the glue to the short side of the fabric.
- Place the water bottle on its side on the glued edge of the material and secure.
- Glue the rest of the material on the bottle by either spreading the glue on the bottle or squeezing it on the rest of the material and roll the bottle to cover it completely. Add more glue at the seam if needed.
- Add a ribbon the length of the fabric to cover the seam.
Photos of Wrapping the Bottle with the FabricClick thumbnail to view full-size
Decorating the Water Bottle Vase
Now the creativity begins. Put a selection of beads, jewels, glitter or any other decoration that you want to offer your children on the table. Allow the children to decorate the fabric vase in any way that they choose. If they want to add bows, you may need to assist them in creating the bow and attaching it.
Once the vase is finished and has dried, you can add water and flowers to the vase. They are perfect gifts for Moms, Aunts, Grandmas or Teachers for any occasion. My children decided that they would make one for each of their teachers for Valentine's Day. It is a great, inexpensive gift from the heart and earth friendly too!